EOP Adapters (Ethernet Over Powerline)

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Has anyone bought EOP adapters here in the Philippines?  I was wondering if they stock them at any of the computer chain stores.

They have them on Lazada:

http://www.lazada.com.ph/tp-link-tl-wpa4220kit-300mbps-av500-wi-fi-powerline-extenderwhite-4560777.html

but they are quite expensive.  Here is the same on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WPA4220KIT-ADVANCED-Powerline-Extender/dp/B00HSQAIQU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1464014661&sr=8-5&keywords=wpa4220kit

I had them in my last house in the USA and they worked quite well.  Now I need them at our new house here in Subic, to get around the concrete wall wifi barriers.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

That sounded really interesting until i read that your home must have three-prong outlets to get the full benefit of this technology.  That lets most of us out.

I still have a 50 foot ethernet wire that I previously used to get around that concrete barrier problem.  What an ugly mother, having that strung out across the living room :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Oh to be a techno!!!  Who said Nerds would never have their day in court!

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That sounded really interesting until i read that your home must have three-prong outlets to get the full benefit of this technology.  That lets most of us out.

I still have a 50 foot ethernet wire that I previously used to get around that concrete barrier problem.  What an ugly mother, having that strung out across the living room :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Where did you read about the 3 prong?  I need to look into that.

The pictures show that the units have only 2 prongs, so I am not sure how the 3 prong will make a difference.  I'm no electrician though.

I installed new 3 prong outlets in our house, but that was only for convenience of not using adapters.  The ground prong does nothing.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Where did you read about the 3 prong?  I need to look into that.

I was just surfing around out of curiosity, after reading this topic, and found it somewhere on this page (click here).  I don't claim to have any experience with EOP and I quit reading after noticing the bit about needing 3 prongs so it may still work for you.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I was just surfing around out of curiosity, after reading this topic, and found it somewhere on this page (click here).  I don't claim to have any experience with EOP and I quit reading after noticing the bit about needing 3 prongs so it may still work for you.

I read that and did a bit more research.  I don't think there would be any issues.  The models they were testing were MIMO standard and that allows you to have multiple outlets.  If you don't have the ground it works as SISO, single input single output, which I think was what I had a few years ago.

The speeds are somewhat irrelevant anyway because you are only going to achieve those quoted speeds (200-500 mbps) in between the units.  Most people have 10/100 Ethernet cables (100 mbps) and even slower internet.  You don't need nearly that much speed to have a perfectly fine internet connection at the other end.

What worries me more is that one picture on Lazada shows a round pin euro style plug, which I would not want.  Another picture shows flat pins.

Go ahead and buy them, and let me know how it works.  That network cable you have lying on the floor is ugly and embarrassing.  You should be ashamed.  You need 2 of these and there is a 10% off coupon.

http://www.lazada.com.ph/tp-link-tl-pa4010-av500-nano-powerline-adapter-white-4388672.html

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I dont know about da Phils but I have been using EOP for about 2 years here in Aus. If you can get it there go for it as never had a problem with mine and I would say faster than wireless. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Yup, worked great for me at my last house in the U.S.  I had the main internet router on the main floor, with EOP adapters on the second floor and in the basement.  You can hook up another wireless router to them if you like, as I did in my basement .  It covered the basement and outdoors by the pool.

They also have EOP extenders, which work similar but extender your main wireless into areas with bad coverage.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I found one of these tonight at Electronics Boutique at Harbor Point Mall in Subic.  I think EB is a chain.

It is a PLICO PLW-500 Powerline Wi-Fi Extender.  It is better (more versatile) than the last one I had in the U.S. My last one was just ethernet port to ethernet port, and then you add your ethernet device to the end.  This one, at the end, has the ethernet port but also has Wi-fi, with it's own password.  They were asking p3999 and he gave it too me for p3700, about $79.  That is for both units.  It is something like this one but the TP-Link here has a more features.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Powerline-Extender-TL-WPA4530-KIT/dp/B01CVOM140/ref=sr_1_14?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1464616095&sr=1-14&keywords=tp+link+powerline+adapter

I plugged the base unit into the wall outlet near my PLDT wireless router in the sala, and connected it by ethernet cable to the router.  Then I plugged the other unit into the wall outlet at the far end of our master bedroom, where there was no coverage from the PLDT router.  Full wireless signal is available there now, but is different than the PLDT wireless.  On my phone, I typed in the password (which is on the label on the back of the unit) and boom, good to go, full speed ahead.  It also covers outside out bedroom on our lanai.

• Like 2