Lies and perjury. I need to understand the rules on how to optain a child's birth certificate in the philippines

JerryUSA
Posted
Posted

This seemed the best place to ask this question.

I'm involved in a complicated discussion with some friends and their family members in the philippines. I'm in the USA and can't get there to look into it myself.

There seems to be a drama worthy of a Philippines' Teleserye. Who is the mother of a baby born last year. There are a few candidates.

I can't go into all the details now because I'm not sure where this is going to go.

A woman who claim to be the baby's aunt said that she would go to an NSO office to get a copy of the baby's birth certificate and email me a photo of it.

Long official quote to follow.

From what I read on the Philippines official site, only

NOTE: ISSUANCE OF CERTIFICATION OF BIRTH IS SUBJECT TO THE CONFIDENTIALITY CLAUSE OF ARTICLE 7 OF THE CHILD AND YOUTH WELFARE CODE WHICH PROVIDES:

Art. 7. Nondisclosure of birth records. The records of a person's birth shall be kept strictly confidential and no information relating thereto shall be issued except on the request of any of the following:

1. The person himself, or any person authorized by him;
  2. His spouse, his parent or parents, his direct descendants, or the guardian or institution legally incharge of him, if he is a minor;
  3. The court or proper public official whenever absolutely necessary in administrative, judicial or other official proceedings to determine the identity of the child's parents or other circumstances surrounding his birth; and
  4. In case of the person's death, the nearest of kin.

Any person violating the prohibition shall suffer the penalty of imprisonment of at least two months or a fine in an amount not exceeding five hundred pesos, or both, in the discretion of the court.

So an aunt can not legally obtain a copy of a nephew's birth certificate.

If she did so by fraudulent means which would mean she would risk legal punishment.

This woman is, perhaps, spreading lies about her sister.

How well are these rules followed?

I don't want to be led astray with false claims by false documents.

Thank you so much for your help.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

http://nsohelpline.ph/order-now give it a whirl.

Jack :whistling:

Morning All:morning1:

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

going by experience regarding birth certificates we had to get one for the wifes deceased brother so his son could get his pension

it was just go to the NSO office in person with the brothers details and copies of his army details etc.

even though his mother who could not be bothered or his grandparents who he lives with also not bothered we got it and he gets his monthly pension paid into the bank and we hold the ATM card.

we never had to pay a bribe !

but having lived here since 2011 things change here on a daily basis rules or not !

and a lot of it depends on who is sitting at the desk at the time you apply for anything !

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I don't know if this will apply or not, but.............

We have don't things in abstenstia for many overseas relatives. We have gotten copies of everything from Birth certificates, baptisms, turned on and turned off utilities, you name it.

What was usually required is just a copy of their ID, and an authorization letter/note. But as said above, any and everything varies, or might change at anytime :whistling: 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Guys

A moderator has hid a post in this topic. We do not allow suggestions of illegal nature on this forum. If members want to do that they can use the PM system but it is not allowed on the open forum for many reasons which should not need explaining. 

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Not surprised, the original post was a bit all over the place and full of intrigue. Another case of 'who is the father?'

robert k
Posted
Posted

Run. Run far and fast. Mother is an observation. Father may be an opinion but Mother should be easily agreed upon. If the group can not come to a consensus as to who the Mother is, you will have to worry about the validity of absolutely everything from now on.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, JerryUSA said:

Who is the mother of a baby born last year. There are a few candidates.

Snip

A woman who claim to be the baby's aunt said that she would go to an NSO office to get a copy of the baby's birth certificate and email me a photo of it.

Long official quote to follow.

From what I read on the Philippines official site, only

NOTE: ISSUANCE OF CERTIFICATION OF BIRTH IS SUBJECT TO THE CONFIDENTIALITY CLAUSE OF ARTICLE 7 OF THE CHILD AND YOUTH WELFARE CODE WHICH PROVIDES:

Art. 7. Nondisclosure of birth records. The records of a person's birth shall be kept strictly confidential and no information relating thereto shall be issued except on the request of any of the following:

1. The person himself, or any person authorized by him;
  2. His spouse, his parent or parents, his direct descendants, or the guardian or institution legally incharge of him, if he is a minor

So an aunt can not legally obtain a copy of a nephew's birth certificate.

If she did so by fraudulent means which would mean she would risk legal punishment.

This woman is, perhaps, spreading lies about her sister.

How well are these rules followed?

I don't want to be led astray with false claims by false documents.

Thank you so much for your help.

Who's the mommy? That's a new one, usually its who's the daddy!

Rules there seem more like guidelines when it pertains to the locals. A DNA test would resolve the issue.

As far as the aunt getting a copy of the birth certificate she can always claim to be a guardian (refer to section 2 of the rules you posted). It's quite common there for relatives to raise the children of their spouses, cousins, etc while the parent(s) are abroad working. I doubt the records office would even bat an eye when they issued the certificate as long as the fee gets paid. 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:ohmy: Well for me, if a Lady can't or won't Admit to bearing a child I doubt they will have registered the Birth Anyway. Personally I can't see you getting very far with this, However I would if it was me, go to NSO and do a late registration and start the whole thing off. If the Child is Already registered it will soon come to Light But..................:whistling:

• Like 1

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted (edited)

My prayers goes to the child in question.

I tend to agree that if this is not a set-up to bring financial support, then that is one confused family.

That said, handing over parenting to better suited within the family is a part of life here and could possibly be grounds for some confusion. But then I am stretching it a bit, right?

Edited by MikeSwede