Camera buffs please check this out for me

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Yvonne is fantasizing about getting a Nikon D3200 24.2MP DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens Kit

There are 2 ads on Lazada that seem to be for this same camera but the price difference is very large.  Of course I want to buy the cheaper one but the more expensive one advertises: "Quality of the video recording: 1920 x 1080"

Since video quality is important to Y and since only one of the ads refers to that video quality then she thinks there is something special about the more expensive one.  Is there?  Looks like exactly the same camera to me and one guy is better at presenting it and is asking more money for the better presentation.  What say you all.  Here are the 2 links, which would you buy?

http://www.lazada.com.ph/nikon-d3200-242mp-dslr-camera-with-18-55mm-lens-kit-4138830.html

http://www.lazada.com.ph/nikon-dslr-d3200-242mp-with-18-55mm-lens-kit-296892.html

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)

Exact same camera. Theres only one version of D3200. 

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d3200/features04.htm

Be ready to get more lenses tho. The standard lens alone will be crap. I have a D5000 series with only the 18-55 lens and i barely use it (gave it to my mom for a loan 2 years ago and she still has it haha). Would love atleast a 10-100mm lens or something like that, but it costs more than the camera.

I personally prefer a compact camera or my phone. To be honest ever since i got a Samsung Galaxy S4 three years ago, I haven't used a camera. Have a Galaxy S6edge+ now and it makes amazing photos.

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

A d3200 is a d3200.  Unless:  last years model or gray market.  I wouldnt use lazada for a nikon.  Nikon is widely available and i would shop around physically before resorting to lazada.  You can find a deal and know what you are getting.

• Like 2

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

A d3200 is a d3200.  Unless:  last years model or gray market.  I wouldnt use lazada for a nikon.  Nikon is widely available and i would shop around physically before resorting to lazada.  You can find a deal and know what you are getting.

Well it is "last years model". Came out in 2012 and was replaced by D3300 in 2014.

Still a good DSLR camera to start with tho (and the price is good).

Downside for me would be no panorama mode on the D3200

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the comments, guys.  We now know a little bit more about cameras and it seems like the D3200 would suit her fine and is already at the high end of what I want to pay. (But she uses her little 'cheapo' camera so much that I think she would get our money's worth out of it).

• Like 3

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

(But she uses her little 'cheapo' camera so much that I think she would get our money's worth out of it).

You should get her to take some online Photography courses after you get the DSLR camera. You can squeeze so much more out if you know what to do with the camera ?. DSLR isnt worth the investment if you just want to point and shoot in automatic mode, because a cheap compact camera or a good phone will do the same job.

First upgrade would be to buy atleast a second battery ?. I just ordered some from Aliexpress.com for my D5000 (mom was complaining how fast the old ones would die and she uses the camera almost daily). About 8 euros each (400pesos) with shipping. The couple shops she asked in Estonia wanted 25-40euros for non original batterys and 40-60euros for originals ?.

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted

I have reviews both cameras and it seems like the more expensive one has a fantastic video features with cinematic qualities: "With a touch of a button, the D3200 starts recording Full HD 1080p video with full-time autofocus, manual exposure control and stereo sound. Its breathtaking 921,000-dot, ultra-high-resolution display makes it easy to frame, monitor and review your footage. Even record in super-smooth slow motion up to 60 fps! Unleash your inner cinematographer".  Sounds like an HD camcorder with stereo audio recording all in one package.  

Speaking of package, may I suggest buying a cheap lens filter (UV, polarizer, clear) to protect the front of the lens, bag to hold a couple lens and two beers and a nice tripod.  

A tripod in nice for indoor activities with slow motion 60 strokes frames per second...he, he.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jake said:

I have reviews both cameras and it seems like the more expensive one has a fantastic video features with cinematic qualities

Oops, now I am confused again.  Do you mean that you noticed an 'add on' to the second camera which gives it these fantastic video features which the cheaper model does not have?

HikiSpray
Posted
Posted

The cheaper is sold by Lazada and the more expensive is sold by " MS Online - Cameras ", should be the same camera from both sellers.

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jake said:

I have reviews both cameras and it seems like the more expensive one has a fantastic video features with cinematic qualities: "With a touch of a button, the D3200 starts recording Full HD 1080p video with full-time autofocus, manual exposure control and stereo sound. Its breathtaking 921,000-dot, ultra-high-resolution display makes it easy to frame, monitor and review your footage. Even record in super-smooth slow motion up to 60 fps! Unleash your inner cinematographer".  Sounds like an HD camcorder with stereo audio recording all in one package.  

Speaking of package, may I suggest buying a cheap lens filter (UV, polarizer, clear) to protect the front of the lens, bag to hold a couple lens and two beers and a nice tripod.  

A tripod in nice for indoor activities with slow motion 60 strokes frames per second...he, he.

Wouldn't Nikon website have two different versions of D3200 then? Theres only one version D3200 Dave. Just different retailers with different price.

• Like 1