DILG advises LGUs to register foreign nationals residing in their barangays

Nephi
Posted
Posted

The Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) has directed all barangay officials to conduct strict monitoring of foreign nationals residing in their areas of jurisdiction...

Read More Here

(source: UNTV)

• Like 2

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

No problem my Barangay Kapitan is our next door neighbour ! and a cousin !!

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

If you scroll down to the one reply, it seems quite sensible.

It has been seen before with politicians scapegoating foreigners. Of course even when it appeared to happen before it was not wholesale nor seemed effective.

I just hope the good sense continues and if it does not, I will take my custom elsewhere, as I am sure others will also.

Nephi
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Nephi said:

The Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) has directed all barangay officials to conduct strict monitoring of foreign nationals residing in their areas of jurisdiction...

Read More Here

(source: UNTV)

Update: Often times a rumor is presented as fact or news. Reading through The DILG Website, I see nothing to this effect and not a mention at all of any such directive or discussion. So it is quite possible that my news post above may be false.

Both my wife and I in the past served seven years on the Brgy Police and six years in PDEA. With the number of officials we worked with and still know, it seems logical that we would have been told something on this and yet we have not. As disorganized as the local government is, it seems highly unlikely this would assigned to them to be implemented.

Nephi

Edited by Nephi
  • Like 4

Larry45
Posted
Posted

I'm not very excited about this news, as any info given to the barangay captain will soon be known by the entire barangay.  I really don't want everyone knowing my full name, address, passport number, etc.  And even worse, we are a bit secluded in our location and not attached to the barangay...but now every thief, beggar and general nuisance will know exactly where we live.  I see it as a safety and security issue, for us.  

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Yes I see no problem with that and a community should know 'who is who at the zoo'. A shame though that it it is a result of such criminal activity.

virginprune
Posted
Posted

At the moment we live next door to the Barangay captain, a family friend for many, many years. Hopefully we will move into our new house this month, in a different Barangay. We will introduce ourselves to our new Barangay captain there and will invite him and the Barangay police to our housewarming, also the chief of police, who is married to my SO's cousin. It's good and safer to have these people aware of your presence in their jurisdiction.

• Like 4

Nephi
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Larry45 said:

I'm not very excited about this news, as any info given to the barangay captain will soon be known by the entire barangay.  I really don't want everyone knowing my full name, address, passport number, etc.  And even worse, we are a bit secluded in our location and not attached to the barangay...but now every thief, beggar and general nuisance will know exactly where we live.  I see it as a safety and security issue, for us.  

Passport numbers and information should not be shared except with immigration offices. At the same time, anyone within 5km of your house would already know who you are and where you live. We stick out like a sore thumb so we are a topic of daily gossip anyway.

Nephi

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Yeah, they all know where we live.

Another expat was looking for my house. He stopped at the crossing (highway and our dirt road). He asked the sikad drivers where I lived. None of them knew my name but there are not many Joe's around here... so fat/skinny, gray hair/bald, was all they needed.  They were able to tell him how far down the dirt road to go, and how far along the goat path to my house.  They know.  They all know  :tiphat:

• Like 5