DILG advises LGUs to register foreign nationals residing in their barangays

Nephi
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Yeah, they all know where we live.

Another expat was looking for my house. He stopped at the crossing (highway and our dirt road). He asked the sikad drivers where I lived. None of them knew my name but there are not many Joe's around here... so fat/skinny, gray hair/bald, was all they needed.  They were able to tell him how far down the dirt road to go, and how far along the goat path to my house.  They know.  They all know  :tiphat:

Yep, and we just think no one notices us! Gives a whole new meaning to "you can run but you can't hide." Kinda like when I emailed the US embassy to arrange my social security. They voice called me back within 30 minutes of my email and they knew more about me that I do. Same with the locals here. They know where we come from, our wives names etc. There is so much news available that these smaller towns don't need a newspaper-Hahaha.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Another expat was looking for my house. He stopped at the crossing (highway and our dirt road). He asked the sikad drivers where I lived. None of them knew my name but there are not many Joe's around here... so fat/skinny, gray hair/bald, was all they needed.  They were able to tell him how far down the dirt road to go, and how far along the goat path to my house.  They know.  They all know  :tiphat:

Once met, never fogotten Tm.

Larry45
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Not true in my case, as proven by the number of locals we've invited over that cannot find our home.  But my point is that a directive which brings my presence and residence into consideration and focus is not a positive thing for us.  I subscribe to the theory that the fewer locals who know where i live, the safer i am.  Aren't we all supposed to keep a low profile here?

As for passport info, it appears the barangay will be given power to request them, per this quote from the OP...

" According to outgoing DILG Secretary Mel Senen Sarmiento, it is an obligation of local officials to do a background check and register all foreign nationals visiting or residing in their respective barangays to know the legality of their stay in the country."

As with most of my posts, I probably come off as an alarmist or sour puss, but I'm just trying to give the perspective of a realist.  One thing's for sure, though, times are a changin'!  

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

One of the many things we can need here is a Barangay Clearance That should I think, speak for it's self.:popcorn:

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

One of the many things we can need here is a Barangay Clearance That should I think, speak for it's self.:popcorn:

Exactly ..... the first time I applied for my annual 13a registration I was required to go to the brgy in person to fill out a Brgy clearance .... no big deal and NO PASSPORT or passport info was required .... just a simple form with our address a picture of me and other simple questions .... am I concerned .... no not really because as many have mentioned most tricycle drivers know were you live as well as your neighbors even if you THINK you are anonymous ..... you really aren't .... 

• Like 5

Larry45
Posted
Posted
On 6/2/2016 at 2:53 AM, scott h said:

Just  bit Larry, no offense meant trust me. First off we must remember that we aren't in the land of the free and the home of the brave anymore, if these are their rules we either have to comply or leave. That simple. We don't have the cash or political clout to effect any change.

Not sure where I ever presented myself as being one of those kinds of expats who expects the Philippines to be just like home.   I know what country I'm living in, and I'm compliant with all the regulations and rules here, no matter how ridiculous they might be.  And again, the concern here is due to the toxic, negative, malevolent, crab-like Filipino culture that takes pleasure in seeing others fail.  To give low-level local authorities more power and control over our futures is not a good thing.  I've had considerable problems with locals doing their best to meddle in my affairs, so I tend to expect not only the unexpected, but also the unimaginable.  If you think the majority of Filipinos wish you well, you're wrong.

Anyways, there still nothing of this news reported on the frequently updated DILG website, and no other news sources have picked up on it, so it may have just been a fabricated farce.  

• Like 5

Nephi
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Larry45 said:

Not sure where I ever presented myself as being one of those kinds of expats who expects the Philippines to be just like home.   I know what country I'm living in, and I'm compliant with all the regulations and rules here, no matter how ridiculous they might be.  And again, the concern here is due to the toxic, negative, malevolent, crab-like Filipino culture that takes pleasure in seeing others fail.  To give low-level local authorities more power and control over our futures is not a good thing.  I've had considerable problems with locals doing their best to meddle in my affairs, so I tend to expect not only the unexpected, but also the unimaginable.  If you think the majority of Filipinos wish you well, you're wrong.

Anyways, there still nothing of this news reported on the frequently updated DILG website, and no other news sources have picked up on it, so it may have just been a fabricated farce.  

Agree on all counts and that comes from years of observation as a member of the Brgy police. It's amazing what the lower levels that have a bit of authority will do for a small amount of money to fund group parties etc and think nothing of it.

Nephi

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2016 at 7:15 AM, Tukaram (Tim) said:

It is me saying this, not Tim.  Looks like I have a great deal to look forward to when I get to Philippines full time.

Edited by mogo51
cant get rid of the heading for the reply?
  • Like 1

Larry45
Posted
Posted
On 6/2/2016 at 3:23 AM, Mike S said:

Exactly ..... the first time I applied for my annual 13a registration I was required to go to the brgy in person to fill out a Brgy clearance .... no big deal and NO PASSPORT or passport info was required .... just a simple form with our address a picture of me and other simple questions .... am I concerned .... no not really because as many have mentioned most tricycle drivers know were you live as well as your neighbors even if you THINK you are anonymous ..... you really aren't .... 

Nonsense...some of you just want to jump on the pile here.  Nobody claimed to be anonymous, but we live in a removed area of the barangay that most never see, or even know is an actual part of the barangay.  It's not by accident and we surely don't want to be the center of attention, like most of you guys crave.  FFS, I regret making that comment now.  Back to regularly scheduled programming :)

• Like 2