An Expat in a PI College - Would I Fit In?

bows00
Posted
Posted

The first time around, I got a degree in Mechanical Engineering for financial reasons only, and spent the next 30 years as an engineer for the Department of the US Navy.  I will be retiring next year and I am looking forward to spending my years in the Philippines.  I will be 56 years old (sign... my how time flies).  And I truly have the desire to return to college for the sake of learning this time (e.g., Art, History, Finances, etc.)

But one concern I have is that I have noticed that the Filipino students seem to be more immature when compared to US counterparts.  For example, I could easily attend community colleges here in the US, and although I would be the old guy in class, it wouldn't be too bad.  But it is another story if I'm sitting in a class full of 8th graders, which I am afraid would be the equivalent in the Philippines.  Am I right on assuming this?

I am looking forward to checking out a university (Silliman) in person this year to get a better feel for this.  And I have written to Foreign advisors with no reply so far.  Any feedback would be helpful...

robert k
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, bows00 said:

The first time around, I got a degree in Mechanical Engineering for financial reasons only, and spent the next 30 years as an engineer for the Department of the US Navy.  I will be retiring next year and I am looking forward to spending my years in the Philippines.  I will be 56 years old (sign... my how time flies).  And I truly have the desire to return to college for the sake of learning this time (e.g., Art, History, Finances, etc.)

But one concern I have is that I have noticed that the Filipino students seem to be more immature when compared to US counterparts.  For example, I could easily attend community colleges here in the US, and although I would be the old guy in class, it wouldn't be too bad.  But it is another story if I'm sitting in a class full of 8th graders, which I am afraid would be the equivalent in the Philippines.  Am I right on assuming this?

I am looking forward to checking out a university (Silliman) in person this year to get a better feel for this.  And I have written to Foreign advisors with no reply so far.  Any feedback would be helpful...

I doubt they would interfere with your ability to learn, that is what you are going for, right?

If you are going for the social interaction, I doubt you will be invited to a lot of parties / hang out at McDo eat fries and soak up the Wi-Fi, unless they need someone to pay.

• Like 2

bows00
Posted
Posted

Yes.  Strictly for learning.  My social life is already spoken for.  Thanks for the feedback.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, bows00 said:

But it is another story if I'm sitting in a class full of 8th graders,

Until recently Bows you would be correct. The Phil education system is just now coming into line with most of the world. High school ended at grade 10, and college/university at grade 14. So in two years, (unless the supreme court intervenes :571c66d400c8c_1(103):) the age groups will reflect those that you are used to.

We have had a couple of members dead set on going to college/university/trade type schools but they have never reported back. Either they are to busy doing homework or it just didn't work out.

For me, I considered using my GI bill benefits (get some of that easy uncle sam cash :shades:), there are a lot of GI Bill accredited schools here. BUT this is what I FOUND. What they call Colleges here are really private high schools and currently go to grade 10 (next year they offer grade 11, then grade 12 the following). The Universities are where you will find the young rich kids. (((I have a niece who currently attends a University in Manila, she is 24 years old ((((she lived overseas for years and returned to school)))) and she has told me she is the oldest in her class by 3 years))). I personally checked out a culinary "college" that is near where I live. It is GI Bill approved, but from what I discovered it is really a diploma mill to get kids ready to work on cruise ships and other places overseas. Besides after 33 years in the Army, I am just to old to wear a uniform like most of these places want you to do. So, reluctantly I just gave up on the idea.

5 hours ago, bows00 said:

I could easily attend community colleges here in the US,

I have not seen or heard of what we would call a community college here. Continuing education (which is not unusual in the states as we know) is not big here. Most folks our age are retired and are looking after the grandkids while their children go to work.

Sorry for the long winded reply, but its hard to be concise and brief at the same time.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

We had a long time member here who has gone missing some time ago who spent two plus years going to school in CDO? He used GI bill and seemed to think the school worthwhile. If I remember correctly he was in his 30's or early 40's.

I don't know why you would think college students at a prestigious school would be like 8th graders. Young yes but most would be very serious.

• Like 3

Larry45
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, bows00 said:

That's funny you make that assessment, because my whole Philippines experience reminds me of being an adult surrounded by 7th and 8th graders.  As for schooling here, there's a Fil-Am blogger that has documented his experience doing the same.  If I find it, I will post it, but he didn't enjoy it much.  However, if you're the type of person that gets along with Filipinos in everyday situations here, you probably won't mind the same treatment from them at school.

bows00
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, scott h said:

Besides after 33 years in the Army, I am just to old to wear a uniform like most of these places want you to do. So, reluctantly I just gave up on the idea.

Yeah, that was one of the things I was afraid of.  I would definitely feel foolish...

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, bows00 said:

I would definitely feel foolish...

Let me clarify bows, the large Universities, like our UCLA, USC etc. do not where uniforms, but the trade type schools, (computers, culinary, tourism etc.) seem to all wear some type of uniform (free advertising I guess lol).

chris49
Posted
Posted

I think you might find Bows00, that these English speaking schools which use English as the primary language will use Tagalog as the primary language for every other facet of university life.

It might be difficult. But it might be worth a try also.

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, chris49 said:

English speaking schools which use English as the primary language will use Tagalog as the primary language for every other facet of university life.

It depends on the university.  A lot of Ateneo and La Salle students converse in English primarily, even outside the classroom.  University of the Philippines students come from a cross-section of society, so in a social context, the use of English would be secondary.