An Expat in a PI College - Would I Fit In?

chris49
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, MacBubba said:

It depends on the university.  A lot of Ateneo and La Salle students converse in English primarily, even outside the classroom.  University of the Philippines students come from a cross-section of society, so in a social context, the use of English would be secondary.

I was going to use De La Salle as an example. I have a few contacts there and it is as you say MacBubba a place where English is commonly used.

Not to confuse Bows however. Ateneo, and UP are entered by the NCAP exam. UST is primarily a pre med and medical school, so the choice of university must be considered.

MacBubba
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, chris49 said:

so the choice of university must be considered

I quite agree.  I just cited Ateneo and La Salle as universities where the usage of English outside of formal classes is not outside of the norm.  I believe I've mentioned before that my wife is an alumna of Ateneo.  Consequently, a lot of her friends are Ateneans too.  I can tell you that they speak English with more fluency than they do Tagalog.  In fact, people frequently mistake my wife for a non-Tagalog speaker.  That, of course, makes her laugh inwardly.

• Like 1