Open Season!

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Benington said:

On Bandila last night incoming PNP Chief de la Rosa said his marching orders are to give subordinants up to 3 months to deliver, whatever that means, on the illegal drugs and heinous crimes campaign. Originally the president elect said 3-6 months. Quick results needed while they work on ambitious reforms of  a number of government agencies, public services, not forgetting the move to federalism?

I don't think the PNP need be concerned overmuch about reforms of  government agencies, public services or the move to federalism. I think if they concentrate on crime they can be forgiven for not worrying about things that aren't theirs to fix, other people will handle those.

Benington
Posted
Posted

Oh, sorry, robert, could have worded it better - I meant it to refer to the incoming President and government.

Larry45
Posted
Posted
On 6/7/2016 at 5:25 AM, robert k said:

As for having obligations, nobody else's obligations are my problem. Before I made my first trip to the Philippines, I knew I wasn't going to buy property and I'm not even going to enter into a long contract for cable because I know that things have a way of going off the rails in the Philippines even before the new president got elected. Nobody forced you to get in so deep, or if they did, go rail at them. I'm not responsible for other people's choices in life, only my own. If you have problems? Did I cause them?

Not sure what your point is here, but you completely missed the mark.  Who is railing on whom?  I was merely explaining that for most of us the matter of pulling up roots is more complicated than you make it to be.  Congratulations on living out of a suitcase and being able to pull a runner at any moment, but most expats here have families and children, and would prefer not to leave on a moments notice.  And I'm not blaming anyone for any choices I've made here, certainly not an argumentative, defensive forum poster.

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Larry45 said:

Not sure what your point is here, but you completely missed the mark.  Who is railing on whom?  I was merely explaining that for most of us the matter of pulling up roots is more complicated than you make it to be.  Congratulations on living out of a suitcase and being able to pull a runner at any moment, but most expats here have families and children, and would prefer not to leave on a moments notice.  And I'm not blaming anyone for any choices I've made here, certainly not an argumentative, defensive forum poster.

I somewhat object to the pejorative nature of "pulling a runner" as I left no bills unpaid, my lease had run and I was going month to month and I gave 30 days notice and paid the next months utilities in advance. True I try to limit commitments, I take very seriously the ones I do take on.

You presume I was living out of a suitcase, but you would be wrong. I had the usual furniture, appliances and things that make a house a home, multiple vehicles, one of which I gave away and even paid for the power of attorney so they could sell it with good title should they decide to do so. I still gave away 5 loads of stuff. It's only money, right?

Larry, I went back a few pages and it appeared to be a conversation I was having with Dave H. that you seemed to take personally. Defensive? It didn't have to be about you but I can't stop you from owning it if you really think you should.

Yes there has been a good bit of devils advocate in my posts but that largely is because of all the alarm when no foreigner I know of here on this forum has been harmed in any way by the new and improved super-vigilantism. People are even making up what ifs. There are an interminable amount of what ifs, including the what if nothing bad happens at all? What if you all win the lottery tomorrow without even having entered? What if through some freak occurrence we all (God forbid) simultaneously have heart attacks?

I have serious doubts that people are afraid as some would seem to be and I'm trying to give equal time and pick apart a little illogic.

I wholeheartedly believe there are some expats who should get out more. I participated in a discussion elsewhere where physically capable men were virtual prisoners at home because their wife demanded that he stay home and she would take everything if he went out. Not talking about a night on the town with the boys but going to the hardware store. I know one such man who couldn't find his way around the town he has lived in for three years. I took him to get a haircut and he didn't know where to go, solution was to drive until we spotted a barber shop. If his wife was in an accident, he would be stuck unable to make himself understood to his part time/on call driver who really did have no English.

• Like 2

Larry45
Posted
Posted

Robert, if you really want to pick apart faulty logic, I would say you should start with your own posts.  But now it's confirmed that you are intentionally being contradictory and argumentative, I won't bother.  At least you have explained yourself.  Carry on.     

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Guys

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and to have their say. There is no need for anyone to take anything personally but having said that consider how you post and how others may construe it.

Also I notice many of you are not quoting who you are responding to. Its best to quote or partly quote so that we can follow the thread. Sometimes members reply 3 hours/days later and in the meantime where on another page and dont know what you are talking about. 

Also again,when pasting from other sources, post as plain text otherwise you get a background showing.

Now lets move on :1927_:

• Like 3

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Its best to quote or partly quote so that we can follow the thread. Sometimes members reply 3 hours/days later and in the meantime where on another page and dont know what you are talking about. 

Also again,when pasting from other sources, post as plain text otherwise you get a background showing.

Yes, sir, good advice, I did a few of those  :whistling:

• Like 1