Nichols Airport Hotel - Manila

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

Needed an overnight place to stay in Manila on our way to the province for a funeral, found the above on AGODA for P1680 including (small) brekky so thought we would give it a go. I usually spend between 2500-3000 but this time didn't really care what it was like as we needed to be nearby the airport. 

For the price I highly recommend it, ten mins from the airport, Jollibee and convenience store down the road 100 metres or so, restaraunt and bar on the rooftop, coffee shop on ground floor, wifi pretty good, only complaint was the rooftop bar is shut on a Sunday which was one of the days we needed it :)

Will stay there again especially if it is only for one night in Manila.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

I might need that thanks.

I usually stay at Sogo but getting stung by taxis negates the low price.

How much was the taxi either way?

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

The yellow airport taxi was P160, Hotel has a van for P300 and we used UBER on our return visit which cost P100 ... or we could have used one of the guys yelling at you when you come out of the airport door hiring vans at the airport for quoted price of P1600!!

• Like 1

Paul_QLD
Posted
Posted

Def book thru AGODA tho, as via their website and in person at the desk it was P2500 or something. Even the guy on the counter said make the booking for our second night via AGODA :)

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Paul_QLD said:

Def book thru AGODA tho, as via their website and in person at the desk it was P2500 or something. Even the guy on the counter said make the booking for our second night via AGODA :)

Well since you guys are praising Agoda members might like to be reminded that as an affiliate of Agoda if you book through this forum then after about 5 years I will get a tiny commision which helps pay the cost of running this forum. 

Index page, book from us.jpg or link, http://hotelbookingbuddy.org/ 

Hotels can be booked worldwide, just put your location into the search box. This is exactly the same as booking on their site. :thumbsup:

• Like 5

chris49
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Paul_QLD said:

The yellow airport taxi was P160, Hotel has a van for P300 and we used UBER on our return visit which cost P100 ... or we could have used one of the guys yelling at you when you come out of the airport door hiring vans at the airport for quoted price of P1600!!

I'm going to Australia carrying bikes so that can be a big savings.

And it is an excellent tip, thank you.

What's UBER?

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, chris49 said:

I'm going to Australia carrying bikes so that can be a big savings.

And it is an excellent tip, thank you.

What's UBER?

Your asking whats UBER? What planet do you live on Chris ??.

They say that they are ride share, but what they really are is people driving their private cars as taxis. Cheaper then taxis in alot of countrys and you pay your fare with a creditcard thru UBER website. Its a hassle free "taxi service" as you pay what the GPS says to the UBER server. No need to haggle on a price and demand a taximeter to be used.

You download the app and add your credit card. You order a UBER thru their app. The app will send notification to the closest UBER driver that you want a ride from A to B. They can accept or decline. If they accept you wait for the UBER to arrive and if they decline, then the system will send the notification to the next driver, until somebody accepts. They pick you up, drive where you want and the fare will be taken from you creditcard. You review the driver after. If they get bad reviews, then they get taken awey from the UBER system.

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted

Never heard of it mate having lived in Saudi, Sri Lanka, Phils since 1981, UK prior to that. Last lived in USA 1977, Australia off and on but did not live there since the 60's.

chris49
Posted
Posted

And having said all that I ran Canberra Taxi for 10 years as absentee owner, usually out on lease, but still never heard of UBER.

Uber is a term from my road biking days, we used to apply it to Ullrich and Norman Stadler, if you ever heard of them. Being Estonian, you probably have.

earthdome
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, chris49 said:

Never heard of it mate having lived in Saudi, Sri Lanka, Phils since 1981, UK prior to that. Last lived in USA 1977, Australia off and on but did not live there since the 60's.

As I recall you have lived in the Philippines for the last 8-10 years. Uber is a relatively new tech startup which uses an application on smart phones to arrange rides between customers and drivers (not a taxi but compete's with taxi's). The driver's are independent contractors. The company was started up about 5 years ago. It has become very popular and is available in major cities around the world including Manila.

• Like 2