Restaurant Temps

RBM
Posted
Posted

Please take this as a general comment not a usual grizzle....

Last night after pursuing our ever elusive Lazyboy we decided to dine at Pendys. It's one of the better Restos here in Bacolod. The decor is nice and the food excellent although some what pricy. We had the pleasure to meet the owner, lovely guy, involved in a heap of charity work. 

All in all nice evening except we froze, 4 A/C s in dining room, seemed all turned up full. We have found this in many up market Reston, also Kri in Dumaguete, same problem and many in Cebu. Guess problem ladies with us as the Filipinos appear very happy and never heard a complaint. 

Would welcome any comments if others feel uncomfortable also.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, RBM said:

Would welcome any comments if others feel uncomfortable also.

I have come across this before, Not to my Liking Either, My Wife would be the First to moan and usually is Bold enough to ask the Unit nearest to us to be put to a comfortable level, for me that comfort level is about 24/25c The main culprit to me of Late is the likes Of JB, CK and others that use these monster 6' Standing units that Blast far away as well, catching near tables in an Ice blast, instead of Smaller units for contained Areas. I guess it is one of those things "Some of the people and all that" When we were in Siquijor in May we went to Restaurants that seem to understand and they had theirs set at 24/25c and had ceiling fans to Spread the Chilled Air about.

Polaris in Dumaguete told us this is a good way of Comfort for all.

Jack:shades:

Morning All:cornflakes: (late start today because of a bad Night. Fiesta time but that's another Story) :7500:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Yea, now then this would be my fault no doubt. I am too hot anything over 18c. There have been very few places with aircon in Philippines I felt comfortable always too hot. I know over time ones body adjusts. Were any of you guys always too hot when you first moved there? No, Jake not "hot" in that manner.

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

It takes very little before my wife says it is "cold"... usually just a small drop in humidity will do it.  I am rarely comfortable here.  Most places only have the junky wall mounted units. I will sit directly in front of one at 18C and still use my fan.  Different strokes for different folks.  ha ha  :tiphat:

Adjust?  I don't know, been here 3.5 years, still the humidity is killing me...

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Me also Tim, but do encounter the 'freeze' at times and not convivial for a nice dinner.

• Like 3

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted

I never liked A/C, I begin to think I have a mental issue about them.

Furter, I do not like dry air, I prefer wet, dripping humidity, and at temperatures above 23°C, but below 42°.

Fancy restaurants, luxury coaches, over ambitious taxies and the lot, they see very little of me. Even when that cold wind is pointing elsewhere, the air still is dry enough to pick my skin.

A thought here, I have a slim, fit type of body (no, not training, I was made like that), and cold seem to affect me more than friends with a tiny bit of fat under the skin. Them, in turn, prefer to stay away from the hot areas.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Old55 said:

Were any of you guys always too hot when you first moved there?

Yes.  I love the heat.  I can walk in the mid day sun and love it.  But I need to have a very cold place to go when I start to overheat. Many of the places that have aircon are still too hot, or at least they were when I first moved here.  My solution is to have my own place with an icy cold aircon in my living room so I can sit here and freeze when I feel the need.  Then its out into the heat again.  It is the same (but opposite) as when I worked in Canada where I would go out in the 40 below and loved it but I needed a very warm place to go when I start to turn into an icicle.

As to the restaurants.  I like a moderate temp with no fans or aircons blowing on me or my food.  Its difficult because as soon as the servers see a foreigner they instantly turn the fan in his direction (most ask for it) and they often will NOT turn it off when I ask.  They do not understand that it makes my food cold quickly and that I detest it.  I have actually walked out of restaurants where the staff will not get it through their heads that I do not want any direct air blowing on me while I eat.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Well Dave when you walk out I will happily take your table ha ha

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

And you are welcome to it, and the cold food.  Have you ever tried sunny side up eggs when they are colder than room temperature?  Think snot running from your nose in the 40 below and you well be close.  I walked away from that yesterday morning at a breakfast buffet in Sugarland Hotel in Bacolod. 

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Larry45
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

I think it's the lack of a winter break that adds up over the years.  I grew up in Houston, which is worse than here in the summer, and I still have trouble adjusting to the Philippines climate.  Ancestry likely plays a role, also.  I don't mind being hot, when it's appropriate.  But sweating profusely and having heat rashes is just uncomfortable, and unsightly.   

Edited by Larry45
  • Like 2