Time To Change Passwords

Nephi
Posted
Posted (edited)

Over the past 24 hours I have had issues with passwords and security issues on another forum,. With some digging I was able to get a bit of information. No matter how secure we feel, it is good to change our passwords ~ especially forum sites - from time to time. This may be a good time.  Read More

(source: The register)

Edited by Nephi
Correct Title Spelling

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

From your source:

The second most popular password was '18atcskd2w' used by 91,103 account

How in the heck would 91,000 people come up with that same password?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

From your source:

How in the heck would 91,000 people come up with that same password?

My god, how did you guess my password ? :mocking:

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Actually I noticed that this topic in encrypted in someway  :whistling:

passwords.jpg

Nephi
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

The article pointed out old versions vbulletin. This is what happens when people do not keep their websites and forums up to date with the latest patches and versions. This forum is very up to date with patches installed as soon as they're released. 

I run several wordpress sites with systems in place to prevent hacking and the amount of attempts is almost unbelievable. The average guy would not know what is happening in cyberspace. :thumbsup:

Very true. Just thinking about it; if China, Russia, and the like can hack secure US govt sites then forums are a piece of cake.

The article I posted was of a company that has many websites and I guess at least one (not the one I use) contained old security data. Their fault without a doubt. Point is we have no way of knowing what sites are safe from one minute to another and those that are at risk. To my thinking, the greatest concern would be Social Security records/emails and online banking if any.

Nephi

• Like 1

Nephi
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Actually I noticed that this topic in encrypted in someway  :whistling:

passwords.jpg

Really? It was just a repost of the original story link. Maybe it's better we all go back to regular newspapers and leave the internet to our kids with Facebook :huh:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Nephi said:

Really? It was just a repost of the original story link. Maybe it's better we all go back to regular newspapers and leave the internet to our kids with Facebook :huh:

Huh? "passowrds" is what I was rubbing in your nose  :smile:

• Like 1

Nephi
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

At the start yes. Members were still able to get in but all Mods were initially locked out. Then members in general followed by a general site failure. The ended up requiring new, longer, more complex passwords now. Goofy thing. Was surprising at first as was the first time since the dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Nephi

Edited by Nephi

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Criskey! It is no wonder I need my Stress Med daily beer sori sori.jpg I have something like 18 Things I need a password for :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1