Travel safety

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, virginprune said:

I live in the red area and have done for over a year. To date, I have never had a feeling of insecurity here.

I agree with you.  Do what feels good to you.  Safety is concern to all but don't lose your head over it. (Wonder how long those Canadians had been in the red area before losing their heads.  Bet they felt safe before that)

So this post is saying:  I agree with you and would do the same thing but that does not mean its the smart move.

• Like 3

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Not sure if those Canadians were resident in Mindanao or whether they arrived at that Marina by boat! 

I am not averse to the fact that I live in a "risky" area. However, this is where I have chosen to settle. If my feelings change regarding this then I shall consider relocation.

The world is a dangerous place, so bad things can happen anywhere!

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Personally Jack, I found the map quite sensible advice.  I would not go there, plenty of other places in Philippines without the drama.

It was the news about 5.30am thing that took my notice Jack 'too much information'!!!  I hope the boss did not run too fast and wore you out early!

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, virginprune said:

Not sure if those Canadians were resident in Mindanao or whether they arrived at that Marina by boat! 

I am not averse to the fact that I live in a "risky" area. However, this is where I have chosen to settle. If my feelings change regarding this then I shall consider relocation.

The world is a dangerous place, so bad things can happen anywhere!

Of course you  are right, it is a dangerous place, but personally, I see  no point in giving them any more chances than I have to to get me.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, virginprune said:

Yes, you are probably right, but the news articles at the time say that the resident manager of the resort was Norwegian (and I suspect he probably told the Canadians that Mindanao was safe because he had lived there such a long time).  Wonder what happened to the Norwegian who was kidnapped with them.  Here is the news clip from that Sept 15, 2015:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/canadians-abducted-philippines-1.3238300

Police in the Philippines say John Ridsdel, 68, who more recently was a mining company executive, was kidnapped along with fellow Canadian Robert Hall, a Filipino woman, and the Norwegian manager of the upscale marina and resort complex where the hostage taking occurred late Monday night.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Wonder what happened to the Norwegian who was kidnapped with them.

They said the other day him and his Filipino wife was next for the chopping block so I guess they are still alive.

The one point for anyone traveling in those warning areas if you have travel insurance they wont cover you as warnings have been issued. 

• Like 3

DavidK
Posted
Posted

For complete travel safety stay at home.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, DavidK said:

:hystery: 

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, DavidK said:

24/7 with my wife?  She'd kill me!

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

24/7 with my wife?  She'd kill me!

What a way to Go though Dave:shades:

• Like 3