Travel safety

Benington
Posted
Posted
On 6/19/2016 at 7:18 PM, MikeSwede said:

Jack, I hope you're not taking comments on the map and message as meant for you. I cheer the messenger, what I question is the bucket of paint they poured right over a large region with no specifics.

I see these warnings from the Swedish foreign office too, and funnily, they don't square with other warnings.

Political agenda, bilateral relations and local presence rule the warnings. For most countries it is still ok to visit Ankara and Istambul. But is it?

To drop down to Gensan and see some friends, or to head into Manila for some window browsing. Which one carries most risks? This is how I think, and in my world Manila is a lot more risky, to me. But whatever happens to me in Manila is covered by insurance while in Gensan not.

Political.

And for gods sake, keep posting those warnings, or we have nothing to yap about :tongue:

On 6/20/2016 at 6:35 AM, virginprune said:

I agree 100%. 

8 hours ago, virginprune said:

I come from Liverpool and have at times lived in London and Bristol, also Amsterdam and Bangkok for a while? I have never been to Manila and have no longings to visit. I would say that big cities have nothing to offer me that I want anymore, personally speaking.

That's fair enough Vp, although don't you feel just a bit curious about the capital and very dominant city here, in the country you have, I am assuming, decided to settle in? Don't you feel left out of the conversation when people talk about places there?

But, hang on..in an earlier post you fully agreed with Mike Swede who said that "in my world Manila is a lot more risky to me (than Gensan)". If you weren't so disinterested to visit Manila, would you also not want to because of security fears? Even though you live in South Cotabato? Of course, you are at home there, and in Manila you would probably stay in a hotel or with some relatives or friends... but allowing for that do you see Manila as being a lot riskier?

virginprune
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Benington said:

That's fair enough Vp, although don't you feel just a bit curious about the capital and very dominant city here, in the country you have, I am assuming, decided to settle in? Don't you feel left out of the conversation when people talk about places there?

But, hang on..in an earlier post you fully agreed with Mike Swede who said that "in my world Manila is a lot more risky to me (than Gensan)". If you weren't so disinterested to visit Manila, would you also not want to because of security fears? Even though you live in South Cotabato? Of course, you are at home there, and in Manila you would probably stay in a hotel or with some relatives or friends... but allowing for that do you see Manila as being a lot riskier?

Security fears have nothing to do with it, although I do believe cities have more potential for danger than the countryside, or provinces if you like.

I will reiterate that cities, especially large ones, have lost their thrall for me. At the end of the day they are all fairly similar in what they can offer and they offer nothing that I want anymore!

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)

Whenever I think of the safety thing I fall back on 3 quick stories:

A few years ago my kids and I decided to go to Mexico for Spring Break. I booked a resort in Cancun, one of the largest resort areas in North or South America (for those of you not from the Americas :89:). Kids were excited. My ex freaked out. Fox News was reporting kidnappings and killings of Americans - mostly drug related. Finally I said, "We're not going to a Mexican border town - we're going to Cancun!" The place was spectacular! Of course now a certainly Presidential candidate is going to build a wall along the Mexican border so that's gonna solve everything :hystery:

When I first met my now wife, I planned to travel with her, including 4 days in CDO. I had friends there and it looked like a great city. I took Janet to her home in Alcoy, Cebu and met the family. I told the family of our plans and asked their permission, which they gave. It was only after the fact (actually after we married) that I was told her mother was upset because I took Janet to Mindanao. I felt bad and asked Janet, "Did your mom have problems in Mindanao?" "Oh, she's never been to Mindanao. But everyone knows it's filled with Muslim terrorists, Dave."

I spent a year in college in New York City. As a poor student I could only afford to share an apt. in the Bronx. My father didn't seem to mind - or maybe to care. Often it seemed that my roommates and I were the only people without color in the neighborhood. I moved about freely without concern. Of course I did eventually get robbed at knife point but it was explained to me that you've really not lived in NYC unless you've been robbed at least once :bonk:

I understand that there are unsafe places in the Philippines (and in NYC) and there are places in Mindanao I would avoid (not CDO - it's very nice). I appreciate my government (and JP's) trying to keep me safe but I'm sure we will visit Mindanao again.

OTOH, there's an island not too far from Dumaguete that Janet will not visit for love or money because, you know, everyone knows there are witches there :smile:

Edited by davewe
  • Like 3

frozenmystic28
Posted
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, davewe said:

OTOH, there's an island not too far from Dumaguete that Janet will not visit for love or money because, you know, everyone knows there are witches there :smile:

My mom's family originated from that island... Shit!! After all these years I thought I was a muggle.

Edited by frozenmystic28
  • Like 4

Nephi
Posted
Posted
On 6/19/2016 at 10:06 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

I agree with you.  Do what feels good to you.  Safety is concern to all but don't lose your head over it. (Wonder how long those Canadians had been in the red area before losing their heads.  Bet they felt safe before that)

So this post is saying:  I agree with you and would do the same thing but that does not mean its the smart move.

I agree Dave, That's a good map and quite accurate. I wish the US govt and embassy would use that in their travel advisories and warnings.

Nephi

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, frozenmystic28 said:

My mom's family originated from that island

Not to worry, many of the ladies from that island look as good as Samantha (the witch from the TV series back in the 60s)

• Like 4

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
On 6/19/2016 at 4:14 AM, DavidK said:

For complete travel safety stay at home.

But most accidents occur within eight miles of home..........one should move every six months for safety :bonk: 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Gerald Glatt said:

But most accidents occur within eight miles of home..........one should move every six months for safety :bonk: 

I Do but the Ladies still get Pregnant :hystery: 

• Like 2

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

My wife's parents live in one of the "red bits " - Zamboanga del Sur. 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Methersgate said:

My wife's parents live in one of the "red bits " - Zamboanga del Sur

Are they easy to get along with or do they terrorize you?

• Like 3