Me and Computers

mogo51
Posted
Posted

As many know, I am a computer retard, so am hoping I can get some help from my learned fellow members.

I have had a problem with my Acer since upgrading from Windows 7 to  10 and it was a nightmare.  Ended up back on 7.

However, I have also had a problem of a broken hinge from keyboard to screen on RHS.  I have had it repaired 2 times and on the weekend it has finally broken totally and it is just a matter of time before I cannot open it at all. When I open, it lifts up the top cover of the keyboard.

I had a thought that perhaps I could buy a cheaper version of Acer with a slow Celeron/Pentium processor and replace it with my I5, add my 8meg RAM and 500gig harddrive, would that be possible.  I can buy a cheaper Acer for about 8k bht whereas to get what I have at the moment here is at least 25k and then I have to buy windows 10 original.

Any help appreciated.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Putting used parts into a new computer is not what I would recommend. 

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

You could always by a cheap monitor at CDR King and just plug it into your laptop but then you wouldn't be able to travel with your LT .... cheapest way out .... you could just remove the LT screen if you get a monitor as you said your keyboard comes off anyway just follow the wires back from the LT screen and disconnect them ... but not sure about that so ask someone who knows .... good luck

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

When I open, it lifts up the top cover of the keyboard.

I had a thought that perhaps I could buy a cheaper version of Acer with a slow Celeron/Pentium processor and replace it with my I5, add my 8meg RAM and 500gig harddrive, would that be possible.  I can buy a cheaper Acer for about 8k bht whereas to get what I have at the moment here is at least 25k and then I have to buy windows 10 original.

Any help appreciated.

Try applying super glue or epoxy to prevent the top corner from lifting off -- or contact Mike S to borrow one of his troubleshooting tools.  It's called a crescent-hammer.....he, he.

I agree with the Boss.  It's hard enough to take a laptop apart without doing a butcher job.  And then you want to replace new parts with the old ones?  Please check for compatibility issues (CPU and RAM cards to motherboard). Would the new warranty still be intact if you DIY upgrade?

Standing by with my crescent-hammer.....

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

Mogo, are you really using the extra horsepower of the I5 processor? Low end Celeron processors in the 1000M range are surprisingly capable. You may be able to use the ram from your present laptop.

• Like 1

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted

Acer is notorious with its broken hinge problem, low end to high end.

To avoid it, or to apply a working fix, you need to see the two holes that attach the monitor hinge to the bottom unit, drill through the wholes and through the plastic with a sharp tool and thread a thin wire through there.

Photo from my old Aspire I7 "high end", I used a cable-tie wire, works ok.

tmp_12389-20160620_044633448554722.jpg

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Update everybody.  I went to Tutcom in Pattaya and had a look at available options, nothing really seemed to suit and I was getting the same information about trying to stuff around with changing parts.

Stopped by the guy who finally 'fixed' my Windows 10 by taking me back to 7 guy, he told me to bring it down he would replace the hinge (from a 2nd hand machine of course).  1000bht.  Took it down 1.5 hrs later, phone call, ready, picked it up and bingo, I am back in business.

Thanks everyone for your help, especially you Jake with offer for hammer!  It went very close to being a frizbee.

• Like 3