Being Civil ?

Jake
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

:shades: Now there is a Word we could all Think About from time to time. Civility, 

Sorry but this is in my Thoughts Today

Triple LIKE Jack P!

• Like 2

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)

Triple like this Jack. I do try to say "no" in a polite way. However I do find it difficult to be civil with beggars who reply to "sorry no" by trying to grab hold of me....

Edited by not so old china hand
  • Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Just now, not so old china hand said:

Triple like this Jack. I do try to say "no" in a polite way. However I do do find it difficult to be civil with beggars who reply to "sorry no" by trying to grab hold of me....

Of Course there will always be the exception, this is when the Security all seem to have need to show the Filipino Civility to the Local

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, not so old china hand said:

Triple like this Jack. I do try to say "no" in a polite way. However I do find it difficult to be civil with beggars who reply to "sorry no" by trying to grab hold of me....

Now this is becoming more interesting.  I'm curious to know if this issue with people struggling in poverty is unique to the Philippines only.  How do you guys handle similar encounters living in other Asian or middle eastern countries?

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

. First be civil,

Question answered then EH?

• Like 3

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Jake said:

Now this is becoming more interesting.  I'm curious to know if this issue with people struggling in poverty is unique to the Philippines only.  How do you guys handle similar encounters living in other Asian or middle eastern countries?

My reply was mainly based on my experience in China. For example there is a certain pedestrian underpass in the downtown area of Beijing. It is frequented by an old lady sitting on the steps with an enamal mug in front of her with small change and low-denomination notes. She knows at least one word of English "Money". If you ignore her or say "Sorry no" she makes a grab for you. I normally manage to avoid this by a swift sidestep, at which point she enhances my Chinese with a few choice words that were not included in my "learn living Chinese in 100 hours" course.

Child beggars are now thankfully fairly rare in Beijing. Their favourite trick is to block your way by standing in front of you with hand outstreched, dancing to-and-fro so you can't pass and chanting "Money, money...". Any form of violence, physical or verbal, on your part is out of the question so the only option is to hope that a passing Chinese citizen will step in and chase them away.

Between these beggars and honest (?) pedlars of tourist tat there is really no middle ground. With the true pedlars a polite "Not today thank you" given with a smile always seems to be accpted without further sales pressure.

Then again there are the tea-house scammers: but that is a whole different story.

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

So How about we all try and say No! thank you. or just a wave away.

19 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Question answered then EH?

Its not always so simple.  Perhaps the man being rude to the beggar already knows the man. Perhaps he has already tried civility and trying to ignore and it has not worked in the past. What you are seeing may be the last resort where rudeness must be used.  Is that possible?

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Its not always so simple.  Perhaps the man being rude to the beggar already knows the man. Perhaps he has already tried civility and trying to ignore and it has not worked in the past. What you are seeing may be the last resort where rudeness must be used.  Is that possible?

Well we are in the World of I don't understand a part of NO! so anything is possible :whistling:

• Like 3