Being Civil ?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Civility only works on people who are being civil to you.

To turn it around, many foreign men here will prey on young ladies by approaching them and not taking NO for an answer.  I have instructed "Y" that she should make a first attempt to be polite but if they continue to pressure her after she says no, and if they will not be ignored, then a firm "F--k Off" is required.

I feel the same about the beggars who are trying to sell me a pair of shoddy sunglasses when I am already wearing some of better quality. First be civil, second try to ignore them, third be rude and firm.

Pretty much this.

I try to be civil at first, and most of the time it does not work. If I am walking I can usually ignore them and the eventually go away, but quite often it ends up with a "get the F* away from me." Even that does not work sometimes ha ha.  Luckily Iloilo does not have beggars as bad as Cebu. My wife was scared of the packs of kids when we visited Cebu.

Funny thing is on the beach in Boracay they leave me alone. Beggars and vendors. Not sure why - and I sure ain't complaining.  :tiphat:

stevewool
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

:shades: Now there is a Word we could all Think About from time to time. Civility, Yes I know how we feel about what the Locals will call us and yes I know we can all get annoyed and get Humpty about it But.............. Should we not just give a thought that they are are not always as quick as we would like and can feel the face thing by the answers we give usually un-Civil. I have a Friend (Well not any ONE in Particular) that tends to embarrass me at times when I am out. The Boulevard is full of Beggars and others, many trying to earn a living by selling. C...p mainly but to them it may be their next meal ( yes or Fix or Beer or bet on a C....k) but again they are just trying whatever. So when I hear people say why don't you just F.....Off I get a pang of Guilt, I am here having a beer, a smoke and maybe a meal, Yes it annoys me when I am Pestered by them. We are Lucky ( If that is the right word) but I feel we could and should just be a little more Civil and help ourselves into the Bargain, to be known as Nice guys instead of some of the Comments we do get. So How about we all try and say No! thank you. or just a wave away. If we do get called Joe so What, better than getting Called Hey long nose or some other Derogatory term, We can't put ourselves in their shoes but just think on, It could have been us if we had been Born here.

We weren't and we should know better. So How about it, lets ease up a Little and make that bit of Difference.

Deep for me maybe! But there are days when I am  baffled by the things we say. I wonder how many will sit back and say but I Don't do that, YEAH Pull the other one

Sorry but this is in my Thoughts Today

I go out with money and i come back skint, mainly thats down to Emma but i do try to give to who i think needs it,

The trouble is when you are back in England its not loose change they are wanting its English pounds

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, stevewool said:

The trouble is when you are back in England its not loose change they are wanting its English pounds

Inflation is everywhere Steve.:SugarwareZ-004:

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Civility only works on people who are being civil to you.

To turn it around, many foreign men here will prey on young ladies by approaching them and not taking NO for an answer.  I have instructed "Y" that she should make a first attempt to be polite but if they continue to pressure her after she says no, and if they will not be ignored, then a firm "F--k Off" is required.

I feel the same about the beggars who are trying to sell me a pair of shoddy sunglasses when I am already wearing some of better quality. First be civil, second try to ignore them, third be rude and firm.

Well I couldn`t have put it better myself. The touching thing really kisses me off,get your damn hands off of me.We had some street kids in Cebu who grabbed Sims green mango out of her hand,but you can do nothing about it.I do have sympathy for these people but if they are breaking the law,no matter how old they are,I am less inclined to help.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Nephi said:

. . . several little homeless street kids stepped in the door. The guard quickly went to push them out. I was shocked that these little kids were being bullied and shoved out of the place. . . 

On the other hand, I am quite happy to see the guards keeping the street kids out of places where they only go to bully the patrons and steal the food.  Reminds me of a story that was shocking and funny at the same time.  5 years ago I was at McDonalds in Mandaue.  There were two entrances and only one guard.  Two filipinas were sitting at a table near the door, eating their lunch, and their attention was turned away from the door (guard was at other door).  Two street kids saw their chance, dashed in the door, stole the fries from each filipina's tray, and dashed back out the door and around the corner.

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Two street kids saw their chance, dashed in the door, stole the fries from each filipina's tray, and dashed back out the door and around the corner.

Hunger relief at it's Finest, "Naughty but nice":popcorn:

• Like 2

skyskyper
Posted
Posted

4 hours ago, Jake said:

I'm curious to know if this issue with people struggling in poverty is unique to the Philippines only.

Beggars abound in Riyadh. They are very aggressive and they will shout at you in disgust if you give them one Riyal (equivalent to 12 pesos).

• Like 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jake said:

Now this is becoming more interesting.  I'm curious to know if this issue with people struggling in poverty is unique to the Philippines only.  How do you guys handle similar encounters living in other Asian or middle eastern countries?

1 hour ago, skyskyper said:

Jake and Skyskyper,

People in Philippines begging is no problem to me personally.

If I have I give, I have never experienced people stealing off me in the street or elsewhere.

Poverty is everywhere not just common to Asia. In fact the question asked by Jake made think how I treat beggars here in UK!

I now feel a little guilty because I treat them with less respect than those I meet in Philippines.

Ashamed to say it, but is it because some of them here are not genuinely poor or in need, unlike people I meet in Philippines.

Maybe we are able to suss out those who are making a good living out of begging here in UK....just my thoughts too.

Edited by Kuya John
mispell
  • Like 3