Being Civil ?

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

On the other hand, I am quite happy to see the guards keeping the street kids out of places where they only go to bully the patrons and steal the food.  Reminds me of a story that was shocking and funny at the same time.  5 years ago I was at McDonalds in Mandaue.  There were two entrances and only one guard.  Two filipinas were sitting at a table near the door, eating their lunch, and their attention was turned away from the door (guard was at other door).  Two street kids saw their chance, dashed in the door, stole the fries from each filipina's tray, and dashed back out the door and around the corner.

We were staying in Cebu and Jollibees had guards outside trying to chase off the gangs of kids so customers could get in the restaurant. The guards inside kept the kids from getting in.  I was never so happy to see so many guards ha ha.  Cebu has major problems with gangs of street kids.  ...we shall see what that curfew does...   :tiphat:

• Like 2

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

We were staying in Cebu and Jollibees had guards outside trying to chase off the gangs of kids so customers could get in the restaurant. The guards inside kept the kids from getting in.  I was never so happy to see so many guards ha ha.  Cebu has major problems with gangs of street kids.  ...we shall see what that curfew does...   :tiphat:

Sounds like a problem that is raising it's head, like I said I have never have experience anything like that.

I did come across Street Kids while in Cebu City, my wife bought them fruit and off they went.

If those kids are stealing off peoples plates, it sounds like they are truly desperate for food.

• Like 2

Nephi
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

On the other hand, I am quite happy to see the guards keeping the street kids out of places where they only go to bully the patrons and steal the food.  Reminds me of a story that was shocking and funny at the same time.  5 years ago I was at McDonalds in Mandaue.  There were two entrances and only one guard.  Two filipinas were sitting at a table near the door, eating their lunch, and their attention was turned away from the door (guard was at other door).  Two street kids saw their chance, dashed in the door, stole the fries from each filipina's tray, and dashed back out the door and around the corner.

Oh yea---for sure. There are street kids in larger cities that are actually run by the police to do just that and worse. But these little tykes just happen to see the other kids at the party inside and were at the door watching. It was so much fun to just watch them and for a few hours they forgot about their plight and were just kids with our kids. Didn't cost a cent extra and to see the joy and happiness those kids experienced was worth all the money in the world.

Nephi

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Nephi said:

Some of the beggars are abusing the feelings of others just to make a living. Others, most others are trying to survive the only way they know how. What you are feeling Jack is human kindness and that is a good thing.

Yesterday, we went into the red light dist of Angeles City to a small hotel restaurant to celebrate the 8th birthday of a little girl we have known since birth. Why they chose this area or place for the party is unknown to me. While there, several little homeless street kids stepped in the door. The guard quickly went to push them out. I was shocked that these little kids were being bullied and shoved out of the place. My wife stepped in and invited them into the party with all of us. These little kids  were not only the life of the party but they had more fun and enjoyment ( and lots of good good) in those few hours than they had likely had in a long time. We as foreign expats and visitors have an obligation to set an example for good.

Mate

Could you please click on the little icon when your images upload so that they position themselves and insert into post correctly otherwise we end up with a post as long as my di$k. When the images are inserted you can even drag them around to change positions. 

This has been another tutorial presented for free. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Nephi
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Mate

Could you please click on the little icon when your images upload so that they position themselves and insert into post correctly otherwise we end up with a post as long as my di$k. When the images are inserted you can even drag them around to change positions. 

This has been another tutorial presented for free. :thumbsup:

Be glad to but I didn't see any icon. Just the option to add or upload files.

Nephi

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Nephi said:

Be glad to but I didn't see any icon. Just the option to add or upload files.

Nephi

Here, take a look. I added more instructions even though I have done somewhere before. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

skyskyper
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Kuya John said:

Ashamed to say it, but is it because some of them here are not genuinely poor or in need, unlike people I meet in Philippines.

Yes, I do understand your predicament.

I have to say that I truly despise the beggars in Riyadh. Most of them have a set amount they wanted to receive from the giver. And I see a lot of disfigured beggars around. I wonder why.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

When I was vacationing in Cebu back 2011 (before moving over here) I brought bags of Halloween candy with me, and my Santa Claus hat.  It was the week of christmas after all.  I gave out lots of candy to all the kids. One group of street kids that was friendly kind of adopted me. There was a girl about 12 that seemed to be in charge of the others.  She would flag down taxis for me, and had the other kids run block to keep other gangs from bothering me. They kept the other kids away... thus getting more candy for themselves ha ha. They were alright.  :tiphat:

This kid begged me to take his pic. He thought it was the funniest thing ever...

405816_2779080648207_2076783926_n.jpg    399386_2779077408126_93016752_n.jpg

• Like 3

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Well Jack,

Hope the replies so far, have given a good sense of Civility amongst this Group of ageing grumpy old foreigners :thumbsup:

• Like 4