Being Civil ?

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

I say a firm NO THANK YOU to vendors and i either ignore the beggers or say no. If they touch or harass me any way then ill tell them to ?????? off right awey.

I dont give money to beggers, but have offered to buy food for some of the "hungry" people. Most of them don't seem to want the food...

Years ago back home in Estonia i used to walk thru a pedestrian tunnel to get to work. There was allways this old lady there begging for money and she got quite alot from the people walking by. Once i had to work late and walking back i saw her ending her shift and jumping into a newish Mercedes Benz that came to pick her up.

• Like 2

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Sander Martin said:

Years ago back home in Estonia i used to walk thru a pedestrian tunnel to get to work. There was allways this old lady there begging for money and she got quite alot from the people walking by. Once i had to work late and walking back i saw her ending her shift and jumping into a newish Mercedes Benz that came to pick her up.

I was reading an article in a British newspaper said much the same, a youngish guy was begging and was thought to be taking home around 600 to 800 pounds a week and probably getting all the government handouts as well, got found out when some one snapped a pic of him getting into a late model Audi and driving away at the end of his "shift".

So to stay O.T. We were down at the beach here on Mactan one saturday, hired a hut, had a great day, time to go home and this troop of 6 or 7 urchins turn up and ask for money, we were packing up, had some food and cool drink left so we said they could have that, as we were walking to the car the eldest one probably no more than ten, told me and my English mate to f$$k off, he was all for giving this kid a clip under the ear, I pointed out this may just be the advance party and there were more to come, I promised the kid to drop him off a copy of How to win Friends and Influence People, he just snarled at me.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, frosty (chris) said:

the eldest one probably no more than ten, told me and my English mate to f$$k off

I remember one (ten year old maybe) kid coming up to me outside McDonalds at Fuente Circle and ask for a handout. I was eating some fries as I left McD's and I handed them to the kid.  He batted them to the ground, kept his hand in front of my chest and said "Money".  I was civil, I smiled and walked away, but I would fully understand someone losing their temper with urchins like that.

Nephi
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Old55 said:

I was seated in a small restobar on the water in Moalboal. I made my order and a guy with trinkets came up to me with the hard sell would not go away. I told the waiter owner whatever ether the sales guy goes or I go. He said "you already ordered". I got up and walked out. You just can't fix stupid.

That was exactly the right thing to do. I'd almost bet that the restaurant owner/manager knew or was related to the guy trying to sell stuff. Good timing actually as many would have just stayed and maybe even bought a few items. There is little or no judgment or sense of right and wrong with many here.

• Like 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

Whilst holidaying in Ireland we visited a cathedral in Galway, while we were looking at the architecture a gypsy lady came up to us begging for money, I told her I would pray for her instead of giving her money, to which she scowled at me.  Later on I saw her in a pub, happily drinking some Guiness.

Every weekend here in Daet city there is a group of beggars which come from out of town somewhere, they hit the town hard, working in pairs on just about every street corner, a well organised syndicate.

• Like 1

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

Whilst holidaying in Ireland we visited a cathedral in Galway, while we were looking at the architecture a gypsy lady came up to us begging for money, I told her I would pray for her instead of giving her money, to which she scowled at me.  Later on I saw her in a pub, happily drinking some Guiness.

Gypsies are a big problem in alot of European countries after Rumania joined the EU. Most the beggers in Estonia right now are gypsies. Alot of them are young guys/girls who dress up to be cripples or old women. Alot of pictures on local newspapers online pages about "old lady beggers" that turn out to be 20 year olds. Police cant do anything with them as begging is not against the law (aslong as you dont harrass people) and they are EU citizen.

Most of locals just ignore them, but they live well off cruise turists visiting Tallinn. I have seen a few documentarys about the gypsie begging mafia... Most the high ranking lead beggers have nice houses and cars in Rumania and going begging to other countries is considered a "good job".

• Like 1