Dollar Acct Question.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

so I'm not too worried

Pays to be cautious. Any place where there is a sign "count your money before you leave the counter please"

whelp, and ounce of prevention etc etc etc

chris49
Posted
Posted

We take $1000 to the Money Changer. We don't take small notes or odd amounts. And if needing transportation like jeepney or tricycle we wouldn't do it. I am not saying this is frequent, but there are pickpockets and the like who will track your movements after leaving the bank, they have a clear idea that you went in there to get money.

The Money Changer is in the supermarket. We get roughly 200 pesos extra on $1000. We use that for breakfast at Mc Do which is our reward.

However. A Dollar Account, passbook, can have an ATM Card issued. This can be the best way to manage your money rather than running around with cash in hand.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
insite
Posted
Posted

HSBC allow you hold a $ account and you can draw $ cash notes up to 2950 at no charge - certain accounts allow you transfer $ from any other HSBC in the world at no charge also. GBP and Euro accounts also available.

In Davao we use Aldivinco to change cash and if you shop around you will get decent exchange rates - any other places to recommend  here ?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, insite said:

you can draw $ cash notes up to 2950 at no charge

If you withdraw cash more than 2950, there is a charge?  I would not bank at a bank that charges me to take my money out.  I have needed to withdraw more than that twice recently.

insite
Posted
Posted

You pay a token amount for anything over 2999 $ - maybe 2/3 $ - you can however do it in a series of transactions one after the other to avoid this charge.

• 4 weeks later...
russellmania
Posted
Posted

I applied for the USD $ acct a few days before I returned to the USA, so the bank clerk told me it will take a few days to approve the acct. Before I left his cubicle he asked me to also bring a document from my bank stating something, but my memory fails me and I cant remember what he requested I bring back to him. Does anyone recall what document is needed from their US Bank acct to show BPI bank rep?

robert k
Posted
Posted

None that I know of, I just walked in to PNB bank when I set mine up, made the minimum deposit the account was made and I left. If you are trying to open an account with no money so it can receive money in the future, you may be working a lot harder than you need to. Making a minimum deposit may cut a lot of red tape.

• Like 1

russellmania
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, robert k said:

None that I know of, I just walked in to PNB bank when I set mine up, made the minimum deposit the account was made and I left. If you are trying to open an account with no money so it can receive money in the future, you may be working a lot harder than you need to. Making a minimum deposit may cut a lot of red tape.

BPI may have different requirements then PNB. BPI has the APPROVE the dollar acct BEFORE you deposit the $500.00,so that no problem.

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, russellmania said:

BPI may have different requirements then PNB. BPI has the APPROVE the dollar acct BEFORE you deposit the $500.00,so that no problem.

This is for the standard no interest bearing dollar account? If it earns interest then you become liable for taxes. I would much rather avoid tax headaches than earn 100 php a year interest.

Have you tried only with BPI? Even BPI with a different person on a different day might give you a different answer. It goes with the territory.

Does it absolutely have to be BPI?

Edited by robert k
  • Like 1

russellmania
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, robert k said:

This is for the standard no interest bearing dollar account? If it earns interest then you become liable for taxes. I would much rather avoid tax headaches than earn 100 php a year interest.

Have you tried only with BPI? Even BPI with a different person on a different day might give you a different answer. It goes with the territory.

Does it absolutely have to be BPI?

Wells Fargo Express send is 5 bucks up to $2999.00 to BPI Philippines. I need to get $25k there in sept to purchase a vehicle. Im bringing $10k on my flight to Cebu. My girl has BPI and I will send a portion to her acct, plus BPI is very popular with Expats. BPI is very close to my house,so those are a few reason for me to go with BPI.