Thinking of moving to the Phils. Internet options

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

New divorcee..not retired..early 40s. Wanting to turn over a new page and chapter. 

Biggest consideration is earning a living, and for that I need fast Internet..I am pretty location independent as long as I have a good connection. Any suggestions?

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
title

bows00
Posted
Posted

Just don't make any drastic decisions until you go visit, and try to spend a decent amount of time there.  I know it is tough when your not retired yet, but you should plan your next vacation there.  As far as earning a living in the Philippines, it will be very difficult, and your own research in this area will come to the same conclusion.      

In addition, I would make it clear on "WHY" you want to make the move there.  Most men in your situation is about the 1) beautiful Filipinas and 2) Cost of living.  With a strong enough "WHY", you will find a way.

• Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Low cost, beautiful women, adventure...

Are any other "whys" needed? :mocking:

First time might only be for a few months. I don't think the non-retired aspect is necessarily a bad thing. I earn 6 figures US with my work, I just need a good connection wherever it is I settle in so I can keep on doing so (I write). As it is, I live more than 1000 miles from my employer and it's not a problem.

The low cost aspect is definitely not a downside. It means I can sock away some cash at the end of every month even if I live pretty well. That could come in handy at some point. I have experience in other places, such overseas locales such as latin america (my X was from S America, flaked out after a 20 year marriage).

Cheers,

Reboot

• Like 2

davewe
Posted
Posted

Different guys define "fast internet" differently. Lots of streaming video, online gaming, fast upload speeds - you might find those difficult (not impossible) to achieve - at least consistently.

But for me fast mostly means quick enough to go to my fave websites, email etc. For work in the US I do lots of online meeting type work but that really doesn't require a super fast connection.

So I guess it depends on the type of work you really do online. Also, it's not just the internet speed that isn't always reliable in the Philippines, it's also power. Your employer or customers might now care that it's a brown out day in your city.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Places like the IT park Cebu condos should give you good internet. Makati, The Fort or any where there is a large amount of call centers. More and more fiber is being rolled out so you can check that. Not much point living in the provinces for fast internet. 

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Moving topic as this is introductions and you might get more responses to questions in the appropriate forums. 

MikeSwede
Posted
Posted (edited)

If you, as me, are dependent on a stable, reliable connection, your best option outside the business areas is a satellite link. Speeds vary, up to 500Mb is available.

The ping time is naturally high due to the distance the signal travels, but if it is not online gaming you are into, then that matters nought.

Make sure you combine that with an online ups, and you are set no matter what.

In rest, the advice and experience in this forum will help you a long way.

Edited by MikeSwede

Reboot
Posted
Posted

But for me fast mostly means quick enough to go to my fave websites, email etc. For work in the US I do lots of online meeting type work but that really doesn't require a super fast connection. 

That's 90% of what I need..occasionally I need to be able to have a video session reliably, however. And of course, a fast connection is useful if I intend to use my trading account, although that's not really critical. The backup sat idea seems interesting also.

Power reliability is concerning, however...

In rest, the advice and experience in this forum will help you a long way.

I've been browsing the site much of the day, and I am starting to realize its usefulness.

Thanks to all for your responses.

• Like 4

afathertobe
Posted
Posted (edited)

In my experience if you need to have regular Skype video chats everywhere outside Manila, more specifically Makati or BGC (or perhaps Cebu city) is unsuitable/unreliable for that. But if I were you I'd go on airbnb, rent a condo for a month or so in a place that has high-speed internet and see if that works for you: 

http://www.yugatech.com/globe-platinum-home-broadband-covered-areas/

http://pldthome.com/fibr/areas

I am in a very similar situation as you are by the way, and will most likely settle in Bonifacio Global City, Manila as it's the one place where the city doesn't drive me mad and where quality of life is high (costs are too!) but still green, relaxed enough to enjoy it. 

Edited by afathertobe
  • Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

the advice of coming over and testing the waters is probably the best advice you have had all day.

• Like 3