Thinking of moving to the Phils. Internet options

robert k
Posted
Posted

I will echo Mogo above! I would also say that if you are working and you need that internet speed, as a practical matter you need to live where you are mostly assured of getting it.

Nephi
Posted
Posted (edited)

Reboot, One or more replies to your post has suggested that you make an advance trip here to the islands to check things out for yourself and I will suggest the same. Although you may have traveled around; this will be like none other that you have seen in the past.

The only thing that is reliable and dependable in the Philippines is that Nothing is reliable or dependable in the Philippines and that includes internet service no matter where you live. If working income is internet dependent it is wise to have service with at least 2 different internet providers. Service and customer service is such that you need a second hook as a back up and hopefully it is working too. There also frequent power outages throughout the country. Some are 10 and 12 hour planned outages for repairs while others just happen for no apparent reason and can last for several hours. Hope it all works out for you as this is a better place for retirement than as a young working stiff.

Nephi

Edited by Nephi
  • Like 4

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Thank you for the sound advice gentlemen.

I agree it is a good idea to test the waters.

As I peruse the forum, I find there is very little I need to ask via a new thread. Almost everything conceivable is covered from work, and finances, to culture and love. This site is quite a resource for someone like me.

Reboot.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Reboot said:

As I peruse the forum, I find there is very little I need to ask via a new thread. Almost everything conceivable is covered from work, and finances, to culture and love. This site is quite a resource for someone like me.

Aye, there's the rub.  Perfection is boring and we need to be constantly stimulated with new questions so please ask whenever a new question occurs to you :morning1:

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

You might have a physical connection at your home (DSL, CATV or fiber) and a second connection via a USB wireless stick using either Globe or Smart. A third option would be the data connection on your phone then use that as a wifi hotspot for your laptop. Second is to have a backup UPS and if the location of your apartment allows for use of a backup electrical generator, get one of those. A laptop can run for a long time off a UPS battery.

If you pick the right location the electrical power and internet connection can be more reliable. I lived in Baguio for 2 years and at my location rarely had a power or internet outage

• Like 1