Where to stay in Dumaguete

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

My high school classmates at De La Salle University are organizing a 50th reunion in early 2017. I promised to attend.

My wife would like to visit a place in the Philippine that we have never been. Dagupan comes to mind. Anyone know if there is a first class hotel where we can stay? Any suggestions?

Yes. Yes. I haven't been participating for sometime now.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
Op said he made a mistake and meant Dumaguete
  • Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Mistake! The correct travel destination is Dumaguete. I have been away from this forum too long.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Dagupan comes to mind. Anyone know if there is a first class hotel where we can stay? Any suggestions?

You later changed your mind and said Dumaguete?  There are a lot of places to stay in Dumaguete but I cannot think of any first class hotels.  Some have first class pricing though.  Perhaps tell us what is most important to you during your stay?

• Like 5

mogo51
Posted
Posted

he is better off being in Dumaguete, so a good typo, he will enjoy it much more I am sure. Especially if he gets tied up with your lot Dave!!!

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

C&L Bay view has some rooms that look swanky but really aren't, but it's not a bad location though. I would say to get on Agoda and look at some room pictures to see which suit you because there are no first class hotels in Dumaguete, that I saw.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Most important is cleanliness, as in clean toilets and no bed bugs. Dumaguete has been mentioned as a possible retirement destination.  I am curious to learn more about the city and their medical facilities.

Our current status is independent living seniors. We are enjoying life as full-time travelers. My wife and I sold our home in Hawaii and gave everything away. It's an emerging concept called, "Home Free." Someday, either one of us may need assisted living. The United States is too expensive. That's when we move to the Philippines. 

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Most important is cleanliness, as in clean toilets and no bed bugs. Dumaguete has been mentioned as a possible retirement destination

There are many hotels in Dumaguete that would qualify under those conditions.  Next question would be if you want a resort with a pool (out of town or at least away from the center of the city as there are none there).  Or maybe you like the central location of downtown.  Is overlooking the ocean important to you?  There is one called Bethel which overlooks the boulevard and the ocean. I think I prefer the Nicanor for cost but there is no view.

• Like 3

bows00
Posted
Posted

I will be going to Dumaguete to checkout Silliman University in November.  I booked a one bedroom condo from AirBnB for around $35 per night which includes airport pickup.  Don't know think this is first class, but the place looks clean with internet.   

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Thanks Dave.  Our preference is city rather than beach resort. 

Thanks bows00. I would be interested in knowing if the AirBNB listing is an individually owned unit or Apartelle, a business offering multiple apartment rentals with housekeeping services.

Dumaguete or another similar location in the Philippines is contingent planing. The move will occur if or when either my wife or I require assisted living (caregiver services). 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
johnbarley
Posted
Posted

Me too! I will also arrive in Dumaguete to scout it out. Hopefully it will be my last and permanent stop!

• Like 2