Manila Traffic

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Benington said:

Given the growth in traffic will we see any difference?

I believe so, even small changes would be nice. The emergency powers will enable the MMDA to improve the flow of current traffic.

For example, be able to clear traffic lanes of impromptu businesses. In the past if folks were ordered to clear out they would run to court and apply for a TRO and usually get it. Imagine the improvement if a 3 lane road was actually 3 lanes and not 2.5.

I also believe (and have personally observed in my area) that since "the punisher" has taken office a new sense of authority in the part of the traffic enforcers. Rarely do I see them sitting under a tree anymore. They are actually in the streets directing traffic instead of letting the intersections be run by the law of the jungle.

These huge infrastructure plans are all well and good but will take years to complete. As someone who drives in Metro often, if the existing roads are used to their maximum potential, and drivers are forced to wait an extra 90 seconds for the light to change instead of crowding the intersection there fore stopping cross traffic or counter flowing forcing on coming traffic lanes to shrink thus slowing that lane. Things will improve by a factor of 5% in my view. And 5% is better than 0.

robert k
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Benington said:

http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/08/11/16/emergency-powers-for-duterte-possible-by-december-poe

No martial law yet, but it looks like emergency powers for the President to solve Manila's traffic are coming. All about quickly building new roads and railways. Nothing so far about volume reduction and other smaller measures. One wonders if they have properly thought out projects ready to start so soon. Also the construction is going to cause more congestion. Given the growth in traffic will we see any difference?

No, generals generally plan for the last war and road construction is almost always obsolete before it is finished.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, robert k said:

No, generals generally plan for the last war and road construction is almost always obsolete before it is finished.

The plans for LRT and MRT extensions are already in existence. To Fairview going north and to Sucat/Alabang going south. And the proposed rail link from NIA Airport to Clark via Bulacan has already been planned. Yet on the existing lines I understand lack of trains in service is still a major problem.

There are other issue like right of public domain which means relocation of squatters en masse, another tricky one and after that, some kind of settlement with the owners of the land. Usually politicians or corporations like Ayala are the owners and the purchase is enormous in terms of pesos.

If Duterte can do it great. If under emergency powers also great, probably with foreign, Korean or Japanese investment.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

What if they move the seat of government? 

Benington
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, robert k said:

What if they move the seat of government? 

I suppose if we ever get a federal structure here there could be some easing of traffic congestion in one or two areas.

Without changing their constitution some countries have a policy of relocating government departments to provincial cities. Problem here is the lack of cities with good communications and infrastructure which could accommodate them.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, chris49 said:

There are other issue like right of public domain which means relocation of squatters en masse, another tricky one and after that, some kind of settlement with the owners of the land. Usually politicians or corporations like Ayala are the owners and the purchase is enormous in terms of pesos.

The above "traditional" obstacles to public works is one of the major factors for giving emergency powers to the executive branch. The way I read it, squatters could not run to the courts to get a TRO. Traditionally when a government contract is awarded, the losers run straight to court protesting unfair bidding and delay the start of projects, the emergency powers will be able to directly award contracts. Does this open it up for corruption? Yep, but the people have to start trusting someone sometime

• Like 2

Benington
Posted
Posted

39 minutes ago, scott h said:

...The way I read it, squatters could not run to the courts to get a TRO. Traditionally when a government contract is awarded, the losers run straight to court protesting unfair bidding and delay the start of projects, the emergency powers will be able to directly award contracts

.http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2016/07/18/1604151/duterte-no-demolition-without-relocation-my-watch

One of the reasons the President got elected on a landslide vote was the attraction of a bold but also wide ranging program. But there are bound to emerge more and earlier conflicts between policies than with a more conservative agenda. So, he has promised squatters no demolition without relocation. But what usually happens in these cases is that the squatters are not at all satisfied with the relocations they are offered. Usually for the simple reason that that are "out in the sticks", with few opportunities to make a living. That's mainly why they run to the courts. They know the government or private company will get its way eventually, but they want a better deal.

Also, with road and railway projects there are bound to be, or maybe, must be foreign bidders involved. If they don't see a fair process, as has happened a number of times, and cannot even appeal to the courts, however difficult that may be, they won't bother to bid in the future. Then foreign investors in general will be put off. Attracting more foreign investment was one plank of the President's economic policy. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Benington said:

" For every action there is and equal and opposite reaction" I believe he said Chess anyone?

• 4 months later...
Dr. Shiva
Posted
Posted

What Manila is in dire need to get the traffic mess fixed:

1. Extensions of the existing LRT/MRT lines. 

2. New LRT/MRT routes

3. Extensive tramway system with undertunneling of important crossings similar to Tenerife city.

4. Tax system like the one used in London. Every car, truck, jeepney and bus entering  or driving inside Manila have to pay a tax per day.

5. Reorganization of all jeepney routes to fit to the higher related public transport (MRT/LRT and tramway) system.

6. Electrifizing of jeepneys and tricycles. Bonus for owners will be the exemption from the traffic tax.

• Like 1