No More Restaurant Waiters

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

California passed legislation that will raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2022. Yesterday, we dined at a sit down chain restaurant at Lake Elsinore that is experimenting with a new system. The seating host accompanies you to a table where there is a gadget similar to an eTablet. It contains the menu. The gadget allows you to order food and drinks directly to the kitchen and bar. While waiting, for an additional $1.99, you can play all kinds of electronic games. About 15 minutes after meal delivery, the gadget flashes asking if you would like another drink and to suggest ordering dessert. The bill appears appears on the screen and you swipe a credit card right at the table. The only thing strange was the recommendation of adding a 20% tip. Why? I don't know since there is no waiter. 

As part of fine dining, the Philippines hires an over abundance of restaurant workers willing to work for low wages. The problem is staff constantly hovers around you. Some of us are flattered by the attention. I find it bothersome. You have waiters listening to your conversation, ready to refill your water glass after every sip. Yet with all the attention, there are slip-ups especially regarding the total amount on the bill. I always have a pocket calculator. About 20% of the time, there is an overcharge in their favor.

The bottom line is California has the best intention by increasing minimum wages. The result I anticipate is more unemployment among semi-skilled workers (waiters) who will have to be supported by their welfare system.

Would you prefer this new emerging system of minimum staff or be surrounded by overly solicitous waiters? Just curious. 

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

I am totally old fashioned, I prefer a waiter.

As for miscalculation on bills in the Philippines, the cashier is the magician.

In many cases the cashier represents the owner as manager if he/she is out. There will be 2 handwritten bills, the real one and the scam one. If the scam is successful after adjustments in the till. The fake bill disappears. replaced by the real one.

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted

Sounds like my kind of a restaurant ???.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Why would anybody give a tip when they did the work on the tablet.I prefer a waiter.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

I like the attentive staff. I would have no interest in a restaurant like that.

• Like 3

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

The fine print under the "suggested" 20% tip on the tab should state to feel free to take off 20% from the bill for doing the work yourself.

• Like 2

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

It will be interesting to see if people continue tipping once wages reach the $15 per hour level. I for one feel that at that rate there is no need for additional payment. 

• Like 3

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

Around Toronto, we have a number of Japanese AYCE (all you can eat) restaurants that use eTablets as well, but  I haven't seen one that offers the option to play games while you wait.  Japanese AYCE restaurants, when using regular waiters, not uncommonly get orders mixed up, because of the sheer volume of orders.  Portion sizes are really small, so 20 orders per table would not be large.  When the restaurant is busy, switched orders can and do happen. We find that using eTablets help, but mix-ups still occur.

We also find it a lot quicker to order this way.  We don't have to sit around waiting for someone to bring menus and write down orders.

• Like 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, chris49 said:

I am totally old fashioned, I prefer a waiter.

As for miscalculation on bills in the Philippines, the cashier is the magician.

In many cases the cashier represents the owner as manager if he/she is out. There will be 2 handwritten bills, the real one and the scam one. If the scam is successful after adjustments in the till. The fake bill disappears. replaced by the real one.

5 hours ago, JJReyes said:

The only thing strange was the recommendation of adding a 20% tip. Why? I don't know since there is no waiter. 

I too prefer a waiter. Otherwise why not eat at home? In in most good restaurants in Hong Kong waiters seem to have the art of appearing when needed without hovering. In Beijing waiters skillfully avoid making eye-contact so you have to overcome any hang-ups about shouting in public. A loud cry of "Foo You An" is the norm.

With regards to tips: does a bus-boy bring the food and drink to the table? Or do they use robots? in any case there will still be kitchen and bar staff on low wages.

Edited by not so old china hand

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, not so old china hand said:

With regards to tips: does a bus-boy bring the food and drink to the table? Or do they use robots? in any case there will still be kitchen and bar staff on low wages.

A bus boy brought the food. 

McDonalds is experimenting with robotics. You punch in your order on a screen; present the printout; and pay the cashier. Food preparation is automated. It is expected to cut staff by 60%. If everyone can be made to pay with a credit or debit card, there can be an additional staff reduction of 20%.

A variation is to order by phone. The food will be ready when you get to the drive-through window. An app allows the restaurant to estimate you location and the time it would take to get to the window. No need to pay since the amount is automatically debited from your bank account.

The above does not apply, at this time, to the Philippines where the cost of labor is relatively low. But things change. There was a time garments exported to the United States and Europe were made in the Philippines and China. The industry moved to Indonesia, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, etc. chasing even cheaper labor costs. Now it is in Myanmar. All the sewing machines needed by a factory could be shipped in a couple of 40 foot containers. The same industrial sewing machines that were in the Philippines 20 years ago are probably in Myanmar. 

• Like 1