Interresting Building Information

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

If you look beyond the sales pitch there is some interesting building information on these links. I

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
If you look beyond the sales pitch there is some interesting building information on these links. I'm totally ignorant to do with construction so if anyone has opinions it would be helpful if you could share your experiences.We have been looking at lots for ten years and finally found a fairly honest deal in an established community. Our next visit maybe an expensive one!jerry12.JPGSolid Concrete Walls
I have not heard of concrete mixed with polystyrene beads here in Australia but the use of concrete walls in construction is widely used.From the above picture it shows concrete placed in form work but here it is made on the ground and lifted in place (tilt panels).Anyway in my view I would much rather the above than the shitty hollow blocks that are used through out the Philippines. :)
  • Like 1

johnb
Posted
Posted

There's some more info about concrete panels herehttp://www.another forum.com/ipb/inde...nsulated+panelssome of the lincs don't seem to work anymore, but i did post it back in 2007 so thats to be expectedJohn

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
some of the lincs don't seem to work anymore, but i did post it back in 2007 so thats to be expectedJohn
John, I know from having read a lot of your posts in the past, that you have a lot of great building experience, so maybe when something like this comes up in the future, a copy and paste from your older post to here would be better because so many links do not work or will soon no longer work and I am sure we would all like to read about your experiences and information that you researched in the past.

johnb
Posted
Posted (edited)
John, I know from having read a lot of your posts in the past, that you have a lot of great building experience, so maybe when something like this comes up in the future, a copy and paste from your older post to here would be better because so many links do not work or will soon no longer work and I am sure we would all like to read about your experiences and information that you researched in the past.
Hi Lee, I've been busy over the weekend preparing an apartment for wiring today, so I couldn't commit much time to this thread, hence the link, also I dont like to copy and paste just my stuff from threads, as when pasted it is of course disjointed and if I copy and past the entire thread then i may as well just post the link....anyway point taken and as I'm up early today I've scanned a handout that I picked up from Fastwall, I also did some googling on the company fastem who own fastwall they have a nice little site with some graphics please see link and scans below, for the record I chose not to use the system, [i'll write more about that at a later date when I have time] however I would use it along side the standard column and beam construction using cement hollow block [CHB] , for example party walls on upper floors, because the panels are light they can be quickly assembled and the floor would not need to be supported by load bearing walls, for example I am putting an upstair CR in one of my apartments, I could use fastwall for its walls and because of there lightweight pretty much build the CR anywhere I wish, as long as plumbing alows, however I'm going to build the CR walls using standard stud wall construction but using galvanized steel studs and finishing the walls with a 12mm [1/2"] cement based board and tiles as a finish this is even lighter than fastwall and for this particular project it will suffice.OK better get back to workJohnhttp://www.fastem.net/business/wallsystem.asp?subcode=0302scanfastwall.jpgscanscanwall2.jpgscan0003.jpg Edited by Boss Man
fixed quote tags

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Thanks John! Very helpful. :7_4_17[1]:

• 2 weeks later...
johnb
Posted
Posted (edited)

Just as an update, I visited the fast wall office in Mandaue yesterday just to confirm it still exists, whilst there I asked for an update of there costs, they gave me the price list below, its dated Aug 2008 but they say the prices are still valid, I also included the business card for there sales guyJohn fastwallupdate.jpg

Edited by johnb

• 4 months later...
Phileas Fogg
Posted
Posted

This information here is fantastic, more than I have been able to source via other means, thank you very much.I'm not just thinking of building a house but a resort of 'cottages' and I want to use concrete products, rather than timber products, for insulation against the heat alone, and I have read that these hollow concrete blocks crack after a period of time and are not typhoon proof.I read, from googling, a few weeks back of one company promoting their construction services from solid concrete blocks, umpteen times stronger than the hollow ones, but this company wanted to build the property rather than just provide the concrete blocks.My question is are solid concrete blocks available to buy in PH, they wouldn't be that difficult to make for oneself, make the moulds and fill with concrete day in day out but are solid concrete blocks available to buy in PH?ThanksPF

Singers
Posted
Posted
Just as an update, I visited the fast wall office in Mandaue yesterday just to confirm it still exists, whilst there I asked for an update of there costs, they gave me the price list below, its dated Aug 2008 but they say the prices are still valid, I also included the business card for there sales guyJohn fastwallupdate.jpg
Thanks John,Previously I only found a Manila supplier. This info is great.Tom

johnb
Posted
Posted
This information here is fantastic, more than I have been able to source via other means, thank you very much.I'm not just thinking of building a house but a resort of 'cottages' and I want to use concrete products, rather than timber products, for insulation against the heat alone, and I have read that these hollow concrete blocks crack after a period of time and are not typhoon proof.I read, from googling, a few weeks back of one company promoting their construction services from solid concrete blocks, umpteen times stronger than the hollow ones, but this company wanted to build the property rather than just provide the concrete blocks.My question is are solid concrete blocks available to buy in PH, they wouldn't be that difficult to make for oneself, make the moulds and fill with concrete day in day out but are solid concrete blocks available to buy in PH?ThanksPF
Hi Pf, Regarding solid concrete blocks I haven't seen them, but over the next few days I'll make some inquiries at our local hardware where we purchase our HCB,However I wouldn't be to concerned about using HCB within a typhoon area, they have proved there worth many times over the years, I think the bad press comes from the standard of constructon of the HCBs, some manufacturers try to cut costs by reducing cement [cement has just gone up to 210 p a bag] whilst others use to much water in the mix and this can weaken the finished block, problems can also arise when work crews are not disciplined enough to keep ratios of the mix constant, so I'm always cafefull as to who I buy my HCB from and check out a few local hardware stores before deciding, alternativly you can buy a mould and make your own, I have heard of some expats doing just that.I also like using HCB because if your structure is built correctly reinforcement bar [rebar] will pass from the foundations through the HCB. it will also be tied every third course to horizontal lengths of rebar, these horizontal bars should be tied to starter bars in each concrete column [assuming your building using the column and beam or post and beam model] also remember that as the masons work they back fill the cavity in each block effectively making it a solid reinforced block, [ I am aware that in some cases cavities in HCB s are not fully filled for insulation purposes, however I've not seen that here] I've rarley seen any block work that resembles for example stretcher bond with fingered corners as is found in the UK, mostly I see reinforced column and beam structures that are fully load bearing, And HCB used as an infill to the open cells, the rebar assists in keeping the HCB together even during earth tremors. Another point with concrete structures and this is relevant to HCB or Solid blocks or cast concrete walls, concrete in full sun can act a little like a storage heater with the concrete walls absorbing heat from the sun during the day and releasing it during he night, in the colder parts of the world that may well be fine, but not so in the tropics, so ensure you allow for adequate overhangs from the roof along the side and gable ends of the property to keep the walls partialy shaded, there is also a good range of masonry paints available in the Philippines, so by painting your place with a light colored paint will help deflect the heat.John