What to Buy When We Arrive

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, frosty (chris) said:

Insect spray, c.r. paper, alcohol for cleaning your hands and some for drinking.

I started using Tanduay in place of rubbing/medical alcohol because the rubbing alcohol cost too much. I had a touch of nasal bronchitis and found that the rum watered down made a decent nasal spray also.:smile:

• Like 5

intrepid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

I would say getting a new cell phone that meets your needs would be important right away. Flashlights (rechargeable) are great no matter where you're living, because there will always be a brownout somewhere. 

Yes, agree with this.  A must is a cell phone.  If you have a good one now bring it and get a sim if its unlocked or pay and have it unlocked.  Either way a cell phone is important for each of you to stay in contact if by chance you get seperated.  It happened to us.  If you can afford,...transportation.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

If you like to use power tools, you may want to use cordless because you will not always have 110 volts near your work area.  You will be shocked if you wait until you get here to buy them.  Here is a example.  A cheap, cordless, reciprocating saw will cost you under $100 in US.

Click here for an example

But to buy a similar saw in Philippines will cost you over $300

Click here for an example

Not all tools have such an extreme price difference but many do.  With the example of the saw, additional blades and battery packs would also be good to bring if the airline does not make a fuss about the batteries.  You may want to send the batteries in a BB box

• Like 5

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)

Id buy tools (and other electronic your going to bring) that run both on 110 and 220volts. If your bringing electronic devices that only run on 110 volts, then be prepared to buy a transformer aswell...

Probably easiest if you use cordless tools and they are all same make and use the same battery. If you cant get the 220volt charger from the US, then you can allways buy the charger here (or order from Europe/Australia if you cant buy it in PH).

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

If I planned on using tools a lot away from power, I wouldn't buy cordless, I would buy a 1.5 kw suitcase generator corded tools and an extension cord. If you are near power, you don't need a generator.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

bows00
Posted
Posted

I saw a YouTube where an Expat was buying bamboo furniture in Iloilo.  I couldn't believe how cheap everything was.  Will definitely rent unfurnished and buy my own furniture.

robert k
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, bows00 said:

I saw a YouTube where an Expat was buying bamboo furniture in Iloilo.  I couldn't believe how cheap everything was.  Will definitely rent unfurnished and buy my own furniture.

Be careful buying cheap bamboo furniture, if the bamboo isn't treated it's full of bugs. You may not even see the bugs but there will be very fine sawdust like material under the bamboo from the bugs work which you will notice after you get it home. But it is cheap!

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, robert k said:

Be careful buying cheap bamboo furniture, if the bamboo isn't treated it's full of bugs.

True, but if you buy the cheap stuff and then spray it thoroughly with Baygon (insecticide) daily for about 10 days then you get rid of them all.  I have done that a few times now and its worked every time for me.  SWMBO says to use solignum but either will work.

• Like 4

davewe
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Haha Unfortunately that can't be bought!

Fortunately that one I think I will be bringing with me.

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, intrepid said:

Yes, agree with this.  A must is a cell phone.  If you have a good one now bring it and get a sim if its unlocked or pay and have it unlocked.  Either way a cell phone is important for each of you to stay in contact if by chance you get seperated.  It happened to us.  If you can afford,...transportation.

Yes we both have our iphones and will probably bring a magic jack or get the app to use on our existing phones.

• Like 4