Where to rent in Dumaguete

johnbarley
Posted
Posted

Can someone recommend neighborhoods worth checking out for house rentals? Looking for something secure, with a nice outdoors ambience, ie not urban, scenic, place to run or bike.  

Or maybe a good agent?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, johnbarley said:

a nice outdoors ambience, ie not urban

I suggest you are not likely to find this in Dumaguete itself, but in the towns adjacent to Dumaguete you may find something.  Your preference will be different than mine or anyone else's so you will have to take a look when you arrive.  There are some areas of Sibulan that you might like.  It is quite spread out so lots of places to search.

As to security, there is nothing guaranteed and it is not uncommon for people to have armed security guards patrolling at night.  How much security you want will be in direct correlation to what you want to spend on it.

• Like 3

johnbarley
Posted
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I suggest you are not likely to find this in Dumaguete itself, but in the towns adjacent to Dumaguete you may find something.  Your preference will be different than mine or anyone else's so you will have to take a look when you arrive.  There are some areas of Sibulan that you might like.  It is quite spread out so lots of places to search.

As to security, there is nothing guaranteed and it is not uncommon for people to have armed security guards patrolling at night.  How much security you want will be in direct correlation to what you want to spend on it.

Thanks. Are there any gated communities?

Any streets in particular where I might find a nice set of houses and tight knit community? They tend to be more secure in my experience.

How about Dauin Villa Waterfront Beach Residences?

https://www.olx.ph/item/2-bedroom-beachfront-villa-for-rent-dauin-dumaguete-ID4XTlw.html?p=7&h=8cb223c5c1#8cb223c5c1

Edited by johnbarley
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, johnbarley said:

How about Dauin Villa Waterfront Beach Residences?

I don't know about that one.  The pictures look very nice.  I would suggest taking a look.

bows00
Posted
Posted

yeah, the pictures look nice, but you wont know how secure it is until you scope it out.  I see no fence or gate to prevent break ins.  I am getting pretty paranoid about this after hearing the news of an expat that got stabbed to death while house sitting in Dumaguete. 

Security and safety is always first.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

JohnBarley, I notice no high vents in the attic. I think your electricity bill may be high. You are also outside of town at that distance if memory serves and will most likely need your own transport. If you got a non live in house help, they would need transport. Someone may have a sari store around there but possibly not, as not enough customers so a trip to town or do without every time you need an item. 11 km to Dauin proper and about 19 to Dumaguete. You might find yourself going to Dumaguete often to shop, Dauin is a pretty small place. Traffic on the south highway wasn't quite legendary and it has been improved, is probably still being improved but I have heard people say that they won't do it at night. Having travelled it at night many times, I agree it can be a pain. The highway can be a pain when schools let out during the day. Bear this in mind. It looks like a very nice house.

• Like 4

johnbarley
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, robert k said:

JohnBarley, I notice no high vents in the attic. I think your electricity bill may be high. You are also outside of town at that distance if memory serves and will most likely need your own transport. If you got a non live in house help, they would need transport. Someone may have a sari store around there but possibly not, as not enough customers so a trip to town or do without every time you need an item. 11 km to Dauin proper and about 19 to Dumaguete. You might find yourself going to Dumaguete often to shop, Dauin is a pretty small place. Traffic on the south highway wasn't quite legendary and it has been improved, is probably still being improved but I have heard people say that they won't do it at night. Having travelled it at night many times, I agree it can be a pain. The highway can be a pain when schools let out during the day. Bear this in mind. It looks like a very nice house.

Appreciate the advice! I plan on getting my own vehicle but it seems there would still be some difficulties. Why is the highway so bad a night? Do you mean there is too much traffic or that it is a dangerous route?

I contacted an online agent and my only requirements were:

- 3 BR +

- 300 sqm+ lot size. A large garden. I hate the way they pave over everything.

- Secure neighborhood

The agent said this would be very hard to find. It's just a basic house with a large garden, LOL. Seems like it should be easy!

It's funny how nobody can recommend a single neighborhood. I'm sure you all live somewhere, right? Maybe you want to keep your gems secret? Can't blame. -

Edited by johnbarley
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, johnbarley said:

It's funny how nobody can recommend a single neighborhood.

The agent told you its hard to find, nobody can recommend a single neighborhood, and yet you think people are hiding 'gems' from you?  Interesting thought.

• Like 1

johnbarley
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

The agent told you its hard to find, nobody can recommend a single neighborhood, and yet you think people are hiding 'gems' from you?  Interesting thought.

LOL, yes, it's interesting that there are no condos and few if any 3BR houses with sizeable gardens. So what kind of places do people in Dumaguete generally live in?

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Try dumaguetehomerentals.com

• Like 2