Posted
2 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Try dumaguetehomerentals.com

TVYM

robert k
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, johnbarley said:

Appreciate the advice! I plan on getting my own vehicle but it seems there would still be some difficulties. Why is the highway so bad a night? Do you mean there is too much traffic or that it is a dangerous route?

I contacted an online agent and my only requirements were:

- 3 BR +

- 300 sqm+ lot size. A large garden. I hate the way they pave over everything.

- Secure neighborhood

The agent said this would be very hard to find. It's just a basic house with a large garden, LOL. Seems like it should be easy!

It's funny how nobody can recommend a single neighborhood. I'm sure you all live somewhere, right? Maybe you want to keep your gems secret? Can't blame. -

I'm in the US at the moment but I would drive on the South highway frequently visiting friends and just getting out of town. Lack of lights and people with limo tint windows bright lighting people. The highway was being widened but the first intersection with Robinson's mall is a choke point and bumper to bumper creeping traffic frequently results. When the police come out to direct traffic it slows down even more.

I lived North of Dumaguete in Purok 2  Cangmating Sibulan. I had a nice 2 bedroom part of a triplex, gated, two parking spaces, very nice view, great landlord who were my neighbors almost no brownouts, only a couple of days in the year that there was low water pressure. 1 km as the crow flies from a fair beach. Sari stores about 1 km either direction on the road. 3 km to Sibulan public market. Once it took me more than an hour to get to Robinsons mall Dumaguete and it was only 10 km and I almost missed the start of a movie even though one would think that I left in plenty of time. There really are no "gems" all places have their ups and downs. You just have to find the place that fits you best and don't expect perfection. I was paying 6k php a month rent.

• Like 3

davewe
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, johnbarley said:

I contacted an online agent and my only requirements were:

- 3 BR +

- 300 sqm+ lot size. A large garden. I hate the way they pave over everything.

- Secure neighborhood

Not sure why you got that reaction. 3br with a 300sqm lot should not be too tough. Maybe he was confused thinking 300sqm with a large garden, since 300sqm is not big at all. 500+ with a large garden sounds better. But that might be hard to find in the city proper.

As to secure neighborhood that might have thrown him as well. Assuming you mean gated then you are limiting yourself I suppose. 

All this being said I had a similar thread that I started a month or 2 ago and the consensus was to arrive in Dumaguete first and then find a rental. So we will rent something for a month or 2, arrive and then find the "real" rental.

Edited by davewe
  • Like 5

Reboot
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Try dumaguetehomerentals.com

Wow, some decent homes there for crazy cheap...

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Yes a good site and great quality homes there for very reasonable rent.  I think it was Dave that directed me to the site.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Jack, Kev, and I were at WhyNot yesterday

:hystery:We told you not to have that 3rd SMB. We were at Co Co's :shades: but have to totally agree with you, anyone seeing these photos just may have Bought off Plan :huh:

• Like 3

Reboot
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Yes a good site and great quality homes there for very reasonable rent.  I think it was Dave that directed me to the site.

I'm really liking this one.... http://dumaguetehomerentals.com/zamboanguita-3br-furnished-beach-house-php-40000month/ 

mogo51
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Jack, Kev, and I were at WhyNot yesterday and I directed them to a picture of an "Executive Condo" for rent in Dumaguete.  The pictures were fabulous and they were all "true" but at the same time they deceived big time.  It was the condo across the street from Freedom Park and if you take a photo out the window at the right time of day on the right day of the week at the right time of the year then it is, indeed, accurate.  The other days of the year that idyllic scene does not exist.

I have shopped for Philippine rentals online (and on bulletin boards) in the past, many times, hoping to find one as good as the pic.  I still would look that way, because I'm a dreamer and am always hoping to find a gem.  But I have never found any rentals on line in Philippines that comes close to being as nice as the pictures.

So shop online, and have fun, but you'll be doing yourself a favor if you don't rent anything that way without having boots on the ground.

Note:  As I introspect, it may be just my personal preference to go and look at a rental house without seeing a picture in advance.  I prefer to be impressed with a house that is better than I expected, rather than disappointed when I get to see the house and find it is not the same as the pics.

Hi Dave,

Get your message and it will be the way you say that will be the best of course.  But was just using it as a price guide and if they are anywhere near what they are presented as being, then they will be good value.

I have another 12 months before we start the move, so this site at least gives me an idea of the market, nothing more.  I gave the address to the OP as a possible assistance, but hopefully he will heed your advice also.

Say hi to all.

• Like 2