Magic Jack For Dummies

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I'm the dummy!  

Magic Jack came up again in another thread.  I still have never got one but due some circumstances, I am now thinking of getting one.  After looking at the website, I still have some questions:

1.  If I read correctly, I have to start by buying a MJ unit before using the app??  The app is what is most interesting to me.

2.  How anonymous is your MJ U.S. phone number, as far as what type of number?  For instance, I have a Google voice U.S. number, and if I search it online, I can find that is probably is a virtual google number.

3.  My sister will be sending me a BB box from the U.S. soon but I would like to start using MJ right away.  If I have to buy the MJ unit, can I have my sister activate it there at her house?  And if so, could I start using the app on my mobile here in PH, right away?

4.  Does the new texting work well?  I need to get texts from my U.S. banks.  They are all going to the 2nd factor security where they send you a text with a code to enter online.  Will it work for that?

Thx!

Don

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Don,
Here are the short answers,
1) Yes.  Before you could just download the app and use for free.  But now you have to purchase MJ and activate first.

2) You will have a choice what area code you want to register your MJ.  Searching it usually appears as a land line and only info would be whatever someone could find linked to you through other on line details you may have given in the past.

3) Yes.  That should work but I’m not 100% sure.

4) The texting works well.  BUT will not accept computer generated texts.  So it will not work with he bank.  Had that issue also.  Bank of America will issue a card to use to receive that needed number for a fee and works well.  But I was afraid to get it.  I just call or text my daughter when I’m about to make a transaction so she can then text me the security number.  BOA gives about 5 minutes before you need to request another another number.  This works good for me.  You just have to register the receiver # with your bank.  The receiver gets the number only and will have no other details about the transaction.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Agree with all above so I wont waist characters repeating, but will add this:

6 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

How anonymous is your MJ U.S. phone number

In the 3 plus years we have used it (619 area code number) we have never had a robo call that I can remember. A couple of wrong numbers or maybe butt dials, but no telemarketers or political type calls.:thumbsup: 

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, intrepid said:

BUT will not accept computer generated texts.  So it will not work with he bank. 

That is probably a deal breaker for me.  That was my main reason for getting it.

I wonder if my google voice will accept computer generated texts.  Any ideas on how to test that?

intrepid
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I wonder if my google voice will accept computer generated texts.  Any ideas on how to test that?

No it will not. Tried that also. 

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

4.  Does the new texting work well?  I need to get texts from my U.S. banks.  They are all going to the 2nd factor security where they send you a text with a code to enter online.  Will it work for that?

1 hour ago, intrepid said:

No it will not. Tried that also. 

Interesting, I used google voice for several years even when back in the States and never had a problem receiving those verification texts. In settings I selected recieve texts as an email so I recieve all texts and a transcript of voicemails in my gmail account. Replying to a text is just like replying to email but it is sent as a text. For free calls back to the States I use Google Hangouts. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Interesting, I used google voice for several years even when back in the States and never had a problem receiving those verification texts. In settings I selected recieve texts as an email so I recieve all texts and a transcript of voicemails in my gmail account. Replying to a text is just like replying to email but it is sent as a text. For free calls back to the States I use Google Hangouts. 

Thanks!  I think that is how I have mine set up.  I wish I could figure out how to test it with a computer generated text.

intrepid
Posted
Posted
54 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

This sounds great.  I'll have to reopen my google account and give this a try.  At the time I tried to receive the computer generated text it would not receive.  I did not know about receiving texts as emails.  Gotta try this one.  Thanks

intrepid
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I wish I could figure out how to test it with a computer generated text.

OMW,  Not knowing what bank you are using I cannot say how to test.  But BOA has a place in settings where you can add new numbers and also send the verify code to activate the new number.  If you receive the code to activate, your good to go!  I'm gonna try it shortly.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

As it happens I have a BoA account also, just signed in, on the main page it says Welcome (your name), then your email address, then update profile. Click update profile, scroll down and add/verify your phone number. I just did it (again) and received the texted code in about 10 seconds in my gmail. Ops check good.

• Like 3