Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

As the title asks, Strawberry Residences Cebu. Anyone stayed there?  :smile:

http://strawberryresidencescebu.com/

Gator
Posted
Posted

Yes, I have stayed there several times over the years; most recently last February. I usually stay for a month or longer. How may I be of assistance?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Gator said:

Yes, I have stayed there several times over the years; most recently last February. I usually stay for a month or longer. How may I be of assistance?

Thanks, usual stuff. What do you think as in a place to stay for a month? Any problems etc. Location OK? WIFI, OK for 2 year old? :thumbsup:

Gator
Posted
Posted

Location is good, usually easy to get a taxi. I have my own motor cycle and like their covered parking area. There's not many parking spaces and could be a tight fit for a larger vehicle or large SUV. 

For the most part the rooms are fine and they keep up with the maintenance. I've only stayed in the 2BR units and I preferred the corner units as better cross ventilation. On the non corner units there's what they call "maids quarters" off the kitchen. There's a jalousie window over the sink that has no screen so need to spray daily for ants (and use Terro ant bait).

Main LR and sala have split type air con and bedrooms have window type (with timers). All appliances are electric. A gas oven/range would be nice. 5gal water dispenser included (think all are non electric type), they'll deliver water, think it costs about 35pesos. On site laundry at around 35peso per kg. With moderate air con usage electric ran about 2,500 a month. Sofa is kinda small, so ask for an extra one or for a Kano sized one. There's a safe / lockbox in each unit - big enough to hold small laptop. 

Pool is small and all same depth, around 4' - plus water generally cold as no sun reaches it. Maybe not the best for your 2 year old as there's no shallow end like most pools. There's also a small gym with adequate equipment. 

WiFi worked fairly well and was pretty fast. As a side note, I was there during the earthquake (and subsequent typhoon) a few years ago. The power went out, but the generator kicked on and wifi stayed working even though cable was out for the weekend. The building itself sustained only minor surface cracks and a few floor tiles popped. 

Office staff are friendly and helpful. Electric and water bills (payable monthly) are clearly stated. Guard are well guards. Mostly asleep at night, lol. But they will go and fetch a taxi for you, help with luggage, etc. Naturally I always tipped them.

Nearby are a few restos with fairly good food. A Fooda store is a short walk away. You can always hop a jeepny back if you've got too many bags to carry. However it's 2 rides to Ayala and a pain to use to go there. If it was raining or I planned on doing some drinking I would simply grab a taxi - about 60-70 pesos to there or to SM. 

Overall a good place to stay and family friendly, so no worries about your 2 year old. Traffic on Cabahug during rush hour can be a b*t*h, so plan accordingly. 

Can't think of anything else about the place at the moment. 

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted

Should also mention that across the street is GE homes. Not a place I'd recommend as wifi horrible, older rooms, roaches, foul smelling rooms, no elevator and the list goes on. But you can rent a motor bike from them at a reasonable cost - I think it's about 200-300 pesos a day, but that price was from a few years ago and based on a weekly rental. 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Gator said:

Location is good, usually easy to get a taxi. I have my own motor cycle and like their covered parking area. There's not many parking spaces and could be a tight fit for a larger vehicle or large SUV. 

For the most part the rooms are fine and they keep up with the maintenance. I've only stayed in the 2BR units and I preferred the corner units as better cross ventilation. On the non corner units there's what they call "maids quarters" off the kitchen. There's a jalousie window over the sink that has no screen so need to spray daily for ants (and use Terro ant bait).

Main LR and sala have split type air con and bedrooms have window type (with timers). All appliances are electric. A gas oven/range would be nice. 5gal water dispenser included (think all are non electric type), they'll deliver water, think it costs about 35pesos. On site laundry at around 35peso per kg. With moderate air con usage electric ran about 2,500 a month. Sofa is kinda small, so ask for an extra one or for a Kano sized one. There's a safe / lockbox in each unit - big enough to hold small laptop. 

Pool is small and all same depth, around 4' - plus water generally cold as no sun reaches it. Maybe not the best for your 2 year old as there's no shallow end like most pools. There's also a small gym with adequate equipment. 

WiFi worked fairly well and was pretty fast. As a side note, I was there during the earthquake (and subsequent typhoon) a few years ago. The power went out, but the generator kicked on and wifi stayed working even though cable was out for the weekend. The building itself sustained only minor surface cracks and a few floor tiles popped. 

Office staff are friendly and helpful. Electric and water bills (payable monthly) are clearly stated. Guard are well guards. Mostly asleep at night, lol. But they will go and fetch a taxi for you, help with luggage, etc. Naturally I always tipped them.

Nearby are a few restos with fairly good food. A Fooda store is a short walk away. You can always hop a jeepny back if you've got too many bags to carry. However it's 2 rides to Ayala and a pain to use to go there. If it was raining or I planned on doing some drinking I would simply grab a taxi - about 60-70 pesos to there or to SM. 

Overall a good place to stay and family friendly, so no worries about your 2 year old. Traffic on Cabahug during rush hour can be a b*t*h, so plan accordingly. 

Can't think of anything else about the place at the moment. 

Gator, if I wanted your opinion I would have asked for it, lol, just joking and thanks for a comprehensive reply.  Yes I have inquired about a 2 bedroom unit and they do reply to Emails. they are quoting 32000 a month plus electric and cable. As I am not a long term renter to me this seems OK, yes have looked at heaps of Airbnb places but Strawberry seems to be the best deal and others are well over that in price and size of unit. The pool wont matter much but just thought of a question, is there like a garden or some area to sit and relax out of the building? 

I wont be using Jeepneys so taxi is a must but anyway thanks again. Hopefully no earthquakes when I'm there. 

:cool:

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

if I wanted your opinion I would have asked for it, lol

You did ask - "What do you think......?". Besides, opinions are like .......... well you know the rest. Also joking -

9 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

just joking and thanks for a comprehensive reply.

YW, glad to help - but as always YMMV

10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

but just thought of a question, is there like a garden or some area to sit and relax out of the building? 

Along the exterior corridors there's some benches scattered about. Some have potted shrubs next to them - perhaps if you squint when you look at them and have a very good imagination you might just think you're in a garden, lol.

Directly across from the guard shack there's a recently opened resto called Choobi Choobi or Scooby Dooby (something like that anyhow) - they have a nice outdoor seating area that's covered, but I'm sure they'd want you to at least buy, and of course consume, a SMP or 3 (no problem for you I'm sure  :smile: ).

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Gator said:

Directly across from the guard shack there's a recently opened resto called Choobi Choobi or Scooby Dooby (something like that anyhow) - they have a nice outdoor seating area that's covered, but I'm sure they'd want you to at least buy, and of course consume, a SMP or 3 (no problem for you I'm sure  :smile: ).

Sounds good to me. Do they have hot showers and do the corner units have a balcony. Says on site that most units have.  Also how often are units cleaned over the one month period and is there anything one needs to bring along themselves such as towels? 

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sounds good to me. Do they have hot showers and do the corner units have a balcony. Says on site that most units have.  Also how often are units cleaned over the one month period and is there anything one needs to bring along themselves such as towels? 

Yes, they have hot water in the showers and yes, for monthly renters you need to bring or purchase towels as well as other items like toilet paper, dish soap, etc. 
You may want to confirm but I recall cleaning being done once or twice a week (it used to be 3 times, but they've cut back). Weekly change of bed linens too. 
To the best of my knowledge there are no rooms with private balconies, only the exterior corridors I mentioned (I guess they consider them balconies). Likely they say "most rooms" because the 1BR units are located where there are interior corridors.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
fixed quote
  • Like 2