Electricity Bill Conundrum.

chris49
Posted
Posted

What would you do here?

We got our bill but ZERO balance. Gina got a comment from the guy who reads the meter. "No consumption month of July", but she didn't pick up on it immediately.

We pay every 2 months. So we have the June bill, 522. The July bill reflects the 522 arrears with a 35 peso rebate. There will be a late charge of 50 pesos. Other neighbors have normal billing, so obviously there's a malfunction in the meter. Not sure why the meter reader did not pick up on that.

Honestly first.

So I'm going along to pay the bill tomorrow and I mention the problem?

Gina says play dumb and let it go another month.

What would you do?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, chris49 said:

Gina says play dumb and let it go another month.

She may have a point.  The guy may have mis-read the meter last month and you may be opening a can or worms that ends up with him getting in trouble with his boss.

What would it hurt to go one more month before mentioning the problem, if it is indeed a problem and not just a meter mis-read.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, chris49 said:

Honestly first.

So I'm going along to pay the bill tomorrow and I mention the problem?

4 minutes ago, chris49 said:

What would you do?

Exactly what you have said Chris, if there is a problem with the meter Best sort it now ( that's me Folks )

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

She may have a point.  The guy may have mis-read the meter last month and you may be opening a can or worms that ends up with him getting in trouble with his boss.

What would it hurt to go one more month before mentioning the problem, if it is indeed a problem and not just a meter mis-read.

I wont put like on your answer Dave. Or Jack's lahat.(also)

Both are options, for a paltry amount of 500 there is an option to let it slide for a month. But not sure if my conscience will allow that.

Or maybe the collector will spot something? I'm paying in the company office, not a bank or bayad center.

Will let you know tomorrow.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, chris49 said:

so obviously there's a malfunction in the meter.

Well did you go to the meter and see if it's spinning? 

chris49
Posted
Posted

Will let you know. It's nighttime now and there are several different meters lined up. Not 100% sure which one is ours.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Exactly what you have said Chris, if there is a problem with the meter Best sort it now ( that's me Folks )

I would agree.  Sooner or later they will probably pickup on it, and it will be even more difficult to sort it out.

However, I would do that after reading the meter and seeing if it is running.  You should be able to tell if he just read it wrong.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

You should be able to tell if he just read it wrong.

Really?  You do realize he wrote:

24 minutes ago, chris49 said:

Not 100% sure which one is ours.

:whistling: 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Really?  You do realize he wrote:

:whistling: 

I thought we could coach him on that if needed.  The meter number should be on his bill.  If the meter is running and the reading now is in an expected range, it may have been read wrong.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The meter is never wrong. You are opening a can of worms disputing a mistake your favor. The power company won't even appreciate your honesty gesture because they have to send an investigator to check out your belief that there is something wrong. That's expensive compared to the monthly bill. Assume you are correct. Then all your neighbors can claim they have been overcharged by faulty meters. Therefore, the meter is always right.

• Like 5