What does the Verizon buy out of Yahoo mean to the Philippines?

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I've been reading that Verizon bought Yahoo for 5 billion USD. I know we get Yahoo via Singapore but has anyone heard anything about the future of Yahoo? I hope it improves. Yahoo pretty much has a monopoly on social networking. I don't use Facebook or Twitter so whats in the future for people like me? I can do without it but just curious. 

I had Verizon in the states. It provides cell phones that are locked in to be used by Verizon subscribers only. There was a monthly charge for unlimited use within the states. A fee was added if you wanted to send messages or talk out of the country like Canada, Mexico, Asia, Europe. I was not aware that it got involved with internet service. Maybe its a good thing. 

Thats all, Just curious.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I use Yahoo for an ancient email address that I have had for decades but I can't think of anything else I use Yahoo for.  What do you use Yahoo for?

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Been using Yahoo Mail since the late 90s..same account. I pay for the ad free version.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Yahoo and AT&T used to work together in early 2000s... Terrible service.

I did not know anyone still used Yahoo anymore.  I never hear anything about them.  5 billion? wow.

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

Message board for Stocks and Finance and Email.

• Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted

They wrecked the finance message boards and the new stock specific finance news feeds are garbage as well. I use Yahoo Finance to track news for portfolio stocks.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Yahoo pretty much has a monopoly on social networking.

Not quite sure what you mean by this?

11 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

I was not aware that it got involved with internet service.

They provide home phone and cable TV in some areas, and also provide internet over those lines.  They already own AOL, but I'm not quite sure what AOL does these days.  Like many, AOL was the first internet connection I ever had, back in the 90's.

Yahoo put itself out for bid and Verizon made the deal.  The value is in the advertising revenue.  Yahoo has over 1 billion users.  Yahoo mail has been my main e-mail for many years.

I read that Verizon's rational is that they want to compete with Facebook and Google for the billions in advertising revenue they are raking in.

I doubt that much will change for a Yahoo mail user.  Mail and the search engine will be around for a long time and that is where most of the ad revenue is.

• Like 1

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

Since G-Mail is blocked here I now use Yahoo for email. Yahoo news seems to work OK but the search function only works intermittently so mainly use Bing :89:

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Not a Yahoo user so can't comment.  I was hotmail originally, then went to Gmail.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, mogo51 said:

Not a Yahoo user so can't comment.  I was hotmail originally, then went to Gmail.

I have had my own domain since 2002?  So I do my own email :tiphat:

• Like 1