Great ride, bad food

RBM
Posted
Posted (edited)

We are just back from one of our favourite rides with one night stop over. For those in the area whom love nature without the frills we recommend it. I will enclose a garmin map later if there is any interest, my SO is the expert here, not yours truly. 

We arrived Canlaon for breakfast at 8am, as always the delightful resto of F@C which is always  good. Road from San Carlos to the turn off is deteriating due to huge ancient sugar cane trucks and care is needed. With rain threatening we prepared the wet weather gear and off we went. Some 15 minutes ride from Canlaon we continue on (not turning left on the moses padella  road. This road was recently upgraded and offers excellent motor cycling along with beautiful views of virgin forest and weather permitting out standing views of Mt Canlaon.

After 50 minutes or so one arrives La Castellana highway,  right turn to La Carlota. Nice ride also on this route. Beside Jolibee is a really neat little coffee shop, tastefully furbished and lovely cakes with light meals. One of our little gems.

Refreshed we return same route for around 8 km and swing left heading up the peaceful quiet little route to Guintubdan, delightful ride. Usually stop here enjoy the view, there is a lovely water fall, involves about 20 minutes  walk. Well worth the effort. Weather was looking  black so with wet weather gear rode on up to Rafael Salas national park, magnificent nature here. Always worth a stop and roam around. Roads are narrow, very slippery as wet and little sun. Extreme care must be taken.

From here it's nice ride down to the mountain  resort of Buenos Aires picturous spot set on the river with terraced gardens. We no longer stay here as they have a  crazy pricing system, p1200 for a room, p50 entrance,  p60 parking. For keen swimmers there is an  international sized pool available just to the right side of the bridge.. How ever average Temps are 24c

Departing, one links up with Maao highway and continues about 5KM and turn right, tempting to go straight as seems better road but is a dead end. A very tricky ride (deep gravel) brings one to the delightful Pataan mountain resort P50 entrance.  If one is looking for paradise it's here, set upon a river offering about 4 water falls.and it's beautiful. Basic accommodation available, food I suspect a problem.

Reversing route taking great care on the gravel one turns right, about a 25 minute ride to Mambukal  concrete road narrow offering  again great views. There is a section of 800 meters which is very rough. 

Like others we love the resort here, especially the walk up to the falls. Just ignore the guides as can be quite forceful. Cottage cost is P900 and very OK for the money. Hot pools as always wonderful although this am after rain were brownish an just warm. Bats always entertaining. What really pi.....d us off was the food courts. Its been around 6 months since our last visit, food was always good. This time staff were un friendly, Ramos tables where we usually eat, staff were to busy playing cards to entertain anyone. Others about the same, great disappointment. Next time we bring our own.On the ride back to San Carlos area we stopped at the new resto in Don Salvador,  Mountain View, had a great French toast there recently. This time again greatly disappointed as new menu....prices now worse than a 5 star hotel. One main was p1200, the cheap instant chocolate drink p90, cheap coffee same, never again. So returned home with hunger pains but again nice trip.

Sorry if I have rambled on a bit but maybe of interest to some.

20160727_114149.jpg

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
positioned image
  • Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

Very nice report.  More pics would be nice?  You know what they say about a picture being worth 1,000 words.

EDIT:  I don't know anything about Garmin maps but I would sure like to follow your adventures on Google Maps.  Is there a way to import your map to look at it on Google Maps.  Also, what motorcycle are you using for the ride. I'm sure you have mentioned it before but  . .  old age ya know

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Very nice report.  More pics would be nice?

Ditto!

RBM
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Very nice report.  More pics would be nice?  You know what they say about a picture being worth 1,000 words.

EDIT:  I don't know anything about Garmin maps but I would sure like to follow your adventures on Google Maps.  Is there a way to import your map to look at it on Google Maps.  Also, what motorcycle are you using for the ride. I'm sure you have mentioned it before but  . .  old age ya know

Hi Dave thanks, the garmin will be very clear when the SO gets around to it. I am the wrong one to ask anything computer wise but imagine in the right hands could be over laid on Google maps.

Most of our rides we use the beast 1200 XTZ yamaha super tenere. Pic here. ( your still a kid Dave)

20160727_114528.jpg

• Like 5

canadamale
Posted
Posted

very nice