Getting PH phone ready in US?

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

My question is this: Is it possible to have a PH phone, ready to go, shipped in the US? What I mean is a decent smartphone that will work "over there," have a card and a load. I'd rather have everything ready to go before I get there, rather than having to fumble and set it all up after I do. Anyone familiar with US based cos?

My own phone won't work. It's Verizon CDMA and PH is all GSM. 

Sorry if this question has been asked before. I looked around and didn't find it

Thanks.

Edited by Reboot

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Reboot said:

Sorry if this question has been asked before

Not that I can remember :thumbsup:

58 minutes ago, Reboot said:

Is it possible to have a PH phone, ready to go, shipped in the US?

If I understand what your driving at correctly, here is one possibility. Assuming you have a friend here in the Philippines. They could purchase and ship the phone you desire to the states. They could then just go to the local sari-sari store on the day of your arrival and purchase load for that number. Once you get off the plane and turn on your phone you should be good to go!

I don't know enough about sim card compatibility to comment if they could just mail a sim card to you, I will let other comment on that.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Reboot said:

My question is this: Is it possible to have a PH phone, ready to go, shipped in the US? What I mean is a decent smartphone that will work "over there," have a card and a load. I'd rather have everything ready to go before I get there, rather than having to fumble and set it all up after I do. Anyone familiar with US based cos?

My own phone won't work. It's Verizon CDMA and PH is all GSM. 

Sorry if this question has been asked before. I looked around and didn't find it

Thanks.

You don't need to have a phone shipped. Just get on Amazon and search for unlocked international smart phone.  Buy the model that suits your desire for quality/price. Then when you arrive there are kiosk's which sell SIMM cards. Just purchase a SIMM card with at least 100 peso's load and have it installed.

The vendor at the kiosk will install the SIMM for you and add the load. FYI, you don't need to buy the expensive 500 peso OFW SIMM package. Just get a SIMM and a few 100 pesos load. Then the choice is do you want to use Smart or Globe. Best choice depends on which phone service those you will be calling use.

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, earthdome said:

You don't need to have a phone shipped. Just get on Amazon and search for unlocked international smart phone.  Buy the model that suits your desire for quality/price. Then when you arrive there are kiosk's which sell SIMM cards. Just purchase a SIMM card with at least 100 peso's load and have it installed.

The vendor at the kiosk will install the SIMM for you and add the load. FYI, you don't need to buy the expensive 500 peso OFW SIMM package. Just get a SIMM and a few 100 pesos load. Then the choice is do you want to use Smart or Globe. Best choice depends on which phone service those you will be calling use.

I agree, sounds like you already know enough to buy a compatible phone in the States (probably cheaper). I had Verizon also but my Samsung Galaxy S5 is worldwide compatible so I just kept it. p40 for a sim and p100 is all you need on arrival. Purchase from a phone kiosk and they will install and set it up for you. Globe/Smart and which promo is best for you will depend on how you use it (calls/text/data) and your location.

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

I agree, sounds like you already know enough to buy a compatible phone in the States (probably cheaper). I had Verizon also but my Samsung Galaxy S5 is worldwide compatible so I just kept it. p40 for a sim and p100 is all you need on arrival. Purchase from a phone kiosk and they will install and set it up for you. Globe/Smart and which promo is best for you will depend on how you use it (calls/text/data) and your location.

Hmmm. I have an S5 also...maybe it's good to go. Thanks.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Reboot said:

Hmmm. I have an S5 also...maybe it's good to go. Thanks.

Verizon S5's ship unlocked already. All you need is a sim and load. You will get a notification on your phone "not a Verizon sim". To remove, press and hold notice until it changes to app, tap the app and the app settings open, tap "force stop" and it is gone - until you restart your phone, then just do it again. I always remove it because I don't like looking at it, you can leave it if you want, it doesn't do anything alse.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

See? I told you our resident techno wizards would be able to set you up! :SugarwareZ-005:

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Yep. You weren't kidding. This thing's got 4 GSM bands!

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

New LG is good.  You can get the sim from Ebay shipped before you leave if you like.  Pretty cheap. 

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

You're already set so this won't really pertain to you...  But for those who will need a new phone when you get here..?  There are some really good local brands that have prices that will scare you..!  MyPhone has a line of phones that also receive digital television...  From a base model to one running the newest Android (6)...  All for under P3k...  Or, as I bought yesterday, Firefly Mobile has one with a 5k mah battery (that should beat my last phone by a day or more before recharging) and really decent camera hardware for P3799... And, if you're worried about going somewhere you might lose or damage your phone (Beach, mountain climbing, bar hopping, etc), it comes with a spare candybar phone included..!  And there are lots of other great phones out there for low cost!  Hey!  You may not have a phone in your hands on landing but many of these phones are available before you leave the airport...  Or a quick run to the mall in the morning and you are in business..!  

:thumbsup: