Cell phone now needed for Social Security AND Bank login

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

NOTE TO READERS:  This topic starts as only about Canadian banks but deals with the same problems at US Social Security at about post 6 and beyond. Read On!

My money is deposited in a Canadian bank (very difficult to avoid this in my situation) and I go online to pay bills and transfer money.

Going to their site today, I was just informed that they will soon enforce a new security measure.  When I do an online transaction that they deem 'unusual' then they will send a codenumber to a Canadian based cell phone number via SMS or they will send a automated voice numeric code to a Canadian landline.  I must enter that code number to continue.

I am sure their idea of 'unusual' means things like large transactions to overseas accounts or signing on from a Philippine ISP.  So I shall need a way to get the code number.  What a pain.  I can change bank accounts in Canada but what if the other banks institute the same security measures.  Hmmmm.  Anyone else with this problem.  How would you deal with it.

I suppose I can use the method of writing cheques and waiting a month for them to clear but then I am subject to the exchange rate in use at my Philippine bank which is always heavily i their favor.  I can't use my Canadian ATM card anymore as they cancelled that on me without explanation.

Life used to be so simple.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 3

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Well they're only about 4 years behind the developed world with this. Will they not send a text to a Philippine number? My Singaporean bank is happy to text my mobile number here with the required passcode.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, DavidK said:

Will they not send a text to a Philippine number?

They specifically say they will text a Canadian number and I am not sure if that is because it costs them money to text outside the country if they just don't want to do it.  I would ask them, but not until I have a back up plan.  Last thing I need is them to say:  Oh, you are still in Philippines, that means you must be a resident there and we don't service Philippine residents.  My FX provider tried that one on me a couple years back.  Very frustrating convincing them otherwise.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Last thing I need is them to say:  Oh, you are still in Philippines, that means you must be a resident there and we don't service Philippine residents.  My FX provider tried that one on me a couple years back.  Very frustrating convincing them otherwise.

I posted about the same security situation a few weeks back, but it is with my broker.  If they determine I am living overseas, they will freeze my trading account.  Others said that my google voice phone number will work for the text so I hope it does.  Can you set up a virtual phone number like Google voice?  There might be some Canadian ones.

I did a quick search and one of the results was this:

http://receivesmsonline.com/

I didn't really look into it but it might give you an idea.

My Chase bank account has had the same for quite a while, but they allow text or e-mail for the code, so it has never been an issue.

• Like 2

Nutz2U2
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I posted about the same security situation a few weeks back, but it is with my broker.  If they determine I am living overseas, they will freeze my trading account.  Others said that my google voice phone number will work for the text so I hope it does.  Can you set up a virtual phone number like Google voice?  There might be some Canadian ones.

I did a quick search and one of the results was this:

http://receivesmsonline.com/

I didn't really look into it but it might give you an idea.

My Chase bank account has had the same for quite a while, but they allow text or e-mail for the code, so it has never been an issue.

My Australian Bank had this for years. I quickly got used to it - considering they are protecting my money and off course their arses. I just use my Aussie mobile number - put it on roaming - problem solved. Then again I am lucky nobody calls me on that number :-).

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

Timely and only a bit off topic, I received an email today from US Social Security. Starting next month to access the mySocialSecurity will implement mandatory double login, 1st user name/password, 2nd texted security code. Those without US text phone number will be unable to access the site.

• Like 4

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Others said that my google voice phone number will work for the text so I hope it does.

Yup, that is how I am doing it. I also use google voice to text my uncle back in the states. Normal text for him, for me it looks like an email in my gmail account.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

Timely and only a bit off topic, I received an email today from US Social Security. Starting next month to access the mySocialSecurity will implement mandatory double login, 1st user name/password, 2nd texted security code. Those without US text phone number will be unable to access the site.

Thanks for the heads up!  I have not received the e-mail yet but I also have not logged in there in a long time.  I'll go give it a try right now.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Thanks for the heads up!  I have not received the e-mail yet but I also have not logged in there in a long time.  I'll go give it a try right now.

I logged in (I was forced to select a new password) and in the security settings, it has the text message as optional extra security, and setting it up requires them to send you a letter by post.  There does not seem to be any messages about future changes, so I will wait and see.

canadamale
Posted
Posted

when I was I in  the Philippines last week my bank stopped my atm card twice in a matter of days. Before I used to phone my bank and tell them I was going to be traveling to the Philippines. They have a new policy now where they say you are not to do this. Luckily I was able to phone and get my card reinstated right away. Still it could of caused me a lot of problems if I needed my card for a emergency. I remember a couple of years ago I was in mega mall north and I tried to use a BDI atm machine. My card was retained by the machine. I had to wait till Monday and then go the the branch that owned the atm machine to get my card back, neither my bank or BDI could say why my card was held. I have been to Mexico, Singapore, Bali, Austrailai, USA, Hong Kong, Scotland, England and the only place my card has given me trouble is Philippines. I haver been flying in and out of the Philippines since 2012. Arrrg it is more fun in the Philippines

• Like 1