Posted

Manila: more fun than a 1st world city

http://www.mb.com.ph/manila-more-fun-than-a-1st-world-city/

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

1. Do you believe this?

2. I doubt it. I don't believe every article I read.

3. The DOT here says " It's more fun in the Philippines" but that's a big lie.

I can think of many cities I would rather visit than Manila.

• Like 2

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

The writer appears to have a local's knowledge of Manila, which is a city with many pockets. 

When my wife was still in university, she would dine out, go to a concert, go clubbing, then find some place to satisfy her food cravings in the wee hours of the morning.  She would do this with various sets of friends, all in safety, being chauffeur-driven around the different pockets of Metro Manila.

When she moved to Toronto, she found the club scene to be underwhelming (she describes them as converted warehouses), and the after-club scene to be practically non-existent.  She tried the higher end clubs but found that because they were pricey, it attracted an older crowd.  So, she just lost interest altogether.

When she told me this before I visited Manila, I couldn't really appreciate what she was saying.  After my first visit to Manila, and doing the rounds with her friends, I finally grasped what she meant. 

We are older now, and haven't the energy to "party" like that, but if I were younger, I certainly know which city I would prefer to party in.

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I have been to Manila many times, but I can honestly say that it has never done much for me. It is polluted, overcrowded and dirty - the article did not mention that!

• Like 4

MacBubba
Posted
Posted

The article was written by a local, presumably, for locals.  They already know that Manila is polluted, overcrowded and dirty. 

What it is saying is that the first world, for all its infrastructure and free public services, comes at a higher cost and might not offer some of the things that the locals are accustomed to.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, MacBubba said:

The article was written by a local, presumably, for locals.

The article was written by a local, presumably, for a fee.  The writer doesn't get paid to write negative stuff.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, MacBubba said:

What it is saying is that the first world, for all its infrastructure and free public services, comes at a higher cost and might not offer some of the things that the locals are accustomed to.

What? No way! When you travel to another country they might not offer some of the things you are accustomed to at home??? Never heard such a out of the box idea before! :mocking:

• Like 3

skyskyper
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

I have been to Manila many times, but I can honestly say that it has never done much for me. It is polluted, overcrowded and dirty - the article did not mention that!

Any Manileño already knows this. So let's concentrate on the artice. Which part of the article is untrue?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, skyskyper said:

Which part of the article is untrue?

The truth can be a lie.  It is called "lying by omission" and its an in-depth subject so feel free to research it.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, skyskyper said:

Any Manileño already knows this. So let's concentrate on the artice. Which part of the article is untrue?

All too many times these articles are written by people that have never visited or spent any length of time in the Places they write about,

Aunty Google and others can be as guilty as any for providing bum information.

You Gotta "Walk the Walk not just talk it.:shades:

• Like 4