VA Dependents Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

Has anyone eligible for this program enrolled their Filipina wife? How do you get started?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Always, I never processed this program for any of my guys. But looking at the requirements they seem pretty clear. A guy must be totally (I read that as 100%) and permanently disabled and it must ALL  be service  connected. (Or dead, don't think that applies here lolol) 

If this applies to you, I have a buddy who has a buddy who works for the VA back in the states, I could make some inquiries.   

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, scott h said:

Always, I never processed this program for any of my guys. But looking at the requirements they seem pretty clear. A guy must be totally (I read that as 100%) and permanently disabled and it must ALL  be service  connected. (Or dead, don't think that applies here lolol) 

If this applies to you, I have a buddy who has a buddy who works for the VA back in the states, I could make some inquiries.   

Yes, I am 100% service connected P&T. I found a copy of the pamphlet the VA sent me when I was rated and see they have an address to submit to in Manila. (VA Regional Office, 1131 Roxas Blvd., Ermita, 0930 Manila PI 96440)

The questions I have are:

She is 26 and enrolled in the ALS program, basically the equivalent of a US GED program and is scheduled to graduate in April (Will continue on to college after that). I know several colleges have VA Certifying Officials but not at the High School level. How/who at the school needs to do what? Since we are in the Philippines there is no SAA (State Approving Agency) for the school to talk to either. 

From the VA Form 22-5490 application form, as a Philippine Citizen what does she put for SSN (Block 1 and on all pages), 2 letter postal code for State she will be living in (Block 18B), she does not have a US bank account can she use my account for her Direct Deposit (Block 8)

Thanks very much,

Steve 

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Isn't that part of the job for embassy personnel..?  Helping their citizens with questions about filling out government forms..?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, i am bob said:

Isn't that part of the job for embassy personnel..?  Helping their citizens with questions about filling out government forms..?

Sure it is, they will sit with you and read the web page requirements with you, scratch their heads and say "I dunno" :hystery:

In fact Always, that's exactly what the contact told my buddy to tell me. Not going to be much help buddy.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, scott h said:

In fact Always, that's exactly what the contact told my buddy to tell me. Not going to be much help buddy.

OK, thanks for asking. Was hoping to take the shortcut of following someone here that had done it. I will head back though VFW and DAV.

Steve

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
MartyC
Posted
Posted

My wife plans on attending college there at some point. I have applied and received her eligibility letter recently from the VA so that should speed up the process . Any new info about using education benefits in the Philippines?

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, MartyC said:

My wife plans on attending college there at some point. I have applied and received her eligibility letter recently from the VA so that should speed up the process . Any new info about using education benefits in the Philippines?

Since you have the eligibility letter you are actually ahead of me. I do have the contact info for the VA coordinator at Negro Oriental State University and Silliman University but haven't contacted them for an appointment yet.

• Like 2