Scott McMahon released from Manila prison

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

A local man Scott McMahon living in Philippines was held in a Manila prison after being falsely accused of rape in an extortion attempt. He was able to quickly prove he was innocent but still held five years.

This case has received a lot of local media coverage reinforcing negative image of Philippines. The morons in Manila need to get their act together this type of injustice is killing tourism.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

What does "local man" mean?  From your area?

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Old55 said:

A local man Scott McMahon living in Philippines was held in a Manila prison after being falsely accused of rape in an extortion attempt. He was able to quickly prove he was innocent but still held five years.

This case has received a lot of local media coverage reinforcing negative image of Philippines. The morons in Manila need to get their act together this type of injustice is killing tourism.

That is outrageous. Do you have more links on that?

However I am not sure if you can validate your comments on "killing tourism". I never heard of the case up to now, and tourists coming here wouldn't know that.

• Like 2

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

Justice is so slow in the Philippines going in and coming out of jail-for both those that deserve justice and those who are victims of the "system". This woman knew how to "work" the system and yet what will become of her attempting to extort this "foreigner" as revenge for him charging this lady with abuse of a child? Likely nothing which is sad indeed. Her vengeance is fulfilled with his time spent in the hole. I wonder if the new President will work to clean up some of these injustices in their legal system.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Scott was from Seattle. The local Washington and to lesser extent US national news has covered his case. He was the longest imprisoned American held without a trial. 

Are you surprised Philippine midia fails  coverage?

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Old55 said:

Scott was from Seattle. The local Washington and to lesser extent US national news has covered his case. He was the longest imprisoned American held without a trial. 

Are you surprised Philippine midia fails  coverage?

I just read it and wow, what a fiasco.

The US Embassy cannot intervene in the Philippines legal system. But I would have thought they might have sent food and asked for some consideration on the level of accommodation?

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I agree with you Chris, in this case there was not a lot anyone could do. 

We just have to accept there exists a small but very serious risk if an expat gets tangled in the Filipino legal system.

Perhaps the fact he had a successful business put him at risk?

• Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Old55 said:

We just have to accept there exists a small but very serious risk if an expat gets tangled in the Filipino legal system.

Hear, hear Old. This is one of those situations as described in the old quote "Youse pays your money, gets your ticket, and take your chances!"

:e3358:

We act surprised this kind of thing happens? Most of us were aware of what we were getting into when we moved here (legal system, traffic, brownouts etc. etc.) and if we were not? Shame on us.

I have never been called the sentimental type, but upon reading just one short article, Anyone who is moving to the Philippines and is a heavy metal guitarist and became a construction worker here. Whelp this guy had looser written all over him.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Yea, we don't know the whole story and likely never will but he sure got screwed over. 

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

I had heard of it. Glad for him he is finally out. Never want to meet him.

• Like 2