Scott McMahon released from Manila prison

mogo51
Posted
Posted

This type of story is played out often in Thailand also.  Sad that the US government did little to help him by the sounds of it.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, scott h said:

Anyone who is moving to the Philippines and is a heavy metal guitarist and became a construction worker here. Whelp this guy had looser written all over him.

Alternatively, I just looked at one picture I saw online and thought:  Anyone who is moving to Philippines and willing to work in construction to be with and  support his wife and kids (legal to work when married here) has winner written all over him.

Scott McMahon.jpg

Since first impressions are notorious for being wrong there is probably a middle story that neither of us will know as we don't want to get involved.

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Read the press reports that go back several years.  'Rule of Law' in Asia is a very small measurement.

• Like 1

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

I'm wondering too if he wants to head back to the US if he will have over stay charges to pay since he's been in jail all that time.

• Like 3

davewe
Posted
Posted

Since I live in the NW, this story has gotten some local play and I'm glad that he's out.

However, my takeaway from the story, besides being a clear case of false arrest, is that a foreigner accusing someone in the Philippines is not a smart thing to do. Apparently Scott got pulled into a marital dispute between his neighbors which escalated and his attorney filed a complaint against the woman alleging several charges including child abuse. 

Her response was to accuse Scott of rape and that's what led to the 5 years.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

It only gets worse for him. Talk about getting screwed over this has got more coverage on the local news here.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mikehayes/seattle-man-imprisoned-five-years-in-the-philippines-declare?utm_term=.dvlOq1Lpv#.bsNLYmE3q

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Old55 said:

It only gets worse for him. Talk about getting screwed over this has got more coverage on the local news here.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mikehayes/seattle-man-imprisoned-five-years-in-the-philippines-declare?utm_term=.dvlOq1Lpv#.bsNLYmE3q

So complicated?

I would expect the US Embassy to pay the arrears or negotiate a settlement with DOI. Mr. Mc Mahon might have to pay them back or sign a promissory note. Probably he wont be able to pay, but he will be on a travel restriction list until he does pay.

Not a good idea also to come to the Philippines without a pension or fixed income. The things that can happen to you in that situation are mostly negative.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, chris49 said:

I would expect the US Embassy to pay the arrears or negotiate a settlement with DOI

In certain ways, the US still believes in personal responsibility. Embassies will routinely visit US citizens in foreign jails to ensure that they are being treated "humanely" and the rule of law of the hose country is being followed. There are always exceptions of course, but as a general rule of thumb the attitude of the USA Government is "your a big boy now (or girl)" unless a person is being held for purely political reasons (missionaries in North Korea for example) they won't lift a finger to expedite the case.

My brother works for the USA state department and has been stationed in Kenya, Argentina, Afghanistan, San Salvador and Panama. One of his jobs was to visit citizens in local jails. He told me, believe it or not, the country where most Americans got in trouble is Panama, another country that most of the locals speak English and they use the US dollar for currency. Coincidence?  

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

This is a terrible injustice.

Just another reason not to make the Philippines a final destination and retirement place.

The people ( most of them) are GREAT. It's the few jerks that tempt you to punch them out.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Under the conditions one would think the Filipino government would simply allow the poor man and his family to depart. I had two coworkers come up to me today and shake their heads that I would visit "that s#*@ hole with my family". I love Philippines and Filipinos but stories like this have an effect on peoples attitude 

• Like 1