Do most Expats have cars?

roberto
Posted
Posted

My wife and I are moving to Laguna in December- to be close to my new employer Ionics. Do most people have a car to get around to work and to other places OR do most people rely on public transportation every day?

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

From what I have seen Filipino public transportation mostly works even though it can be unconventional, uncomfortable and crowded and none of it that I have seen is rapid. I wouldn't be without my own transportation for any length of time. Sometimes a person on a bicycle who is willing to ride on the sidewalk will beat all the vehicular traffic.

• Like 3

virginprune
Posted
Posted

I believe a fair percentage of expats have a vehicle of some kind. I, however, have chosen not too. I cycle and I walk and use a tricycle once a week for the big shop. This works for me even though I live about 3 km outside town. It is all down to personal choice, I spent a lot of my life driving before I retired so decided to give up on retirement.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

own a car here in Pattaya, but it can be frustrating.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, virginprune said:

I believe a fair percentage of expats have a vehicle of some kind.

If we are including motorcycles as vehicles then I'd say almost every expat has a vehicle of some kind.  But if you mean a 4 wheeled vehicle then I agree its a fair percentage.

Some expats use public transportation (including taxis) exclusively when living in cities.  Many have a motorcycle only.  Many have a motorcycle and 4 wheel vehicle.  Many have just a 4 wheel vehicle.  Some of the 4 wheel vehicles are valued at US$ 4 to 8 thousand.  Some of the 4 wheel vehicles are valued at US$20,000 and up.  A rare few have their own boat, plane or helicopter.

So the question becomes, why does it matter what everyone else is doing.  Whatever you want to do is fine.

NOTE:  Filipinas tend to like status and an expensive 4 wheeled vehicle is status, the more expensive the more perceived 'status'.  Its a rare filipina who will be content riding around with a foreigner in a multicab but some accept that.

• Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, roberto said:

My wife and I are moving to Laguna in December- to be close to my new employer Ionics. Do most people have a car to get around to work and to other places OR do most people rely on public transportation every day?

Roberto.

Western expats relocating here as with a family need a car. From your previous post I would say you do also.  Although public transportation might be manageable for you if single. There is no way a woman with kids would tolerate that.

Single ex pats often don't need a car. Many married guys do.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

You need to check out some youtube videos of public transportation in the Philippines. I remember seeing some buses that I think had routes in Manila but not certain, in Cebu it all seemed to be served by Jeepney / ez-ride multicabs and taxi-cabs. Just think about having to change vehicles 3 times to get home and up to 20 minute wait for each one, that is when it's not raining? When it rains, all bets are off and it seems to rain a good bit in the Philippines at certain times of the year.

Not to say that you can't arrive, take in the lay of the land (and a few cabs) until you figure it out, as long as you have the budget to afford the fix whatever it turns out to be. Cabs by the meter are cheap to me in the Philippines, around 40 peso flag fall but cabs are not always available...when it rains. There are some cab drivers who think they are pirates, but many good ones also.

I was having my jeep worked on one time and I hit it just right, tricycle as soon as I stepped out my front gate, ez-ride that left as soon as I got on it, tricycle at the other end to take me to where I was going, I should have played the lottery instead of wasting luck like that on transportation.:smile:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Third, a taxi if going grocery shopping to carry the bags back

Taxis are the most common 'public transportation' for expats in Philippines.  There are times when that is the very best option.  I think Cebu has quite reasonable taxi transportation, all things considered.  It sounds like taxis are great where you are.  But in places like Dumaguete they do not exist and in places like Manila you have to sell your soul to the devil (perhaps a bit of hyperbole but you get the drift) in order to get a taxi.

• Like 3