How Much to Retire In PI

robert k
Posted
Posted
Just now, cattledog said:

Thanks, many former US Military retired, live in Freeport Zones In Subic and Clark.

Papa Carl whose birthday it is today lives and works in Angeles I believe. If I recall correctly he is teaching ESL.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, bows00 said:

Based on your choice of living in Angeles or Subic, one could assume that you would like to experience the bar scene, which can get very expensive. 

That's a bit of a tall assumption to make. It reminds me of very narrow mindset that Angeles nightlife covers the whole town. Subic sure would be one of my choices and from my understanding probably every city or town has some sort of bar girl scene or freelancers so really not sure why you would assume that just because one is considering living in either of those places.   :89:

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, cattledog said:

Would 50k USD annually,  be enough to have good retirement in Subic or Angeles area. I am former US Military.

50k USD annually is more than enough. I try to stay under p50,000/month (for the wife and I) and end up p45k - p60k depending on extras and visa extension (haven't switched from tourist visa yet). So on the high side p60k x 12 months = just over $15,000 USD annually - and unlike some here this includes rent.

Also looked at Subic/Clark thinking about hanging out with other retired military at the VFW. That sounded great but prefer a smaller town to the big city, also didn't like the idea of being in typhoon alley and all the rain, floods and landslides they bring. Ended up moving to Dumaguete, then to Bacong. Small town in easy reach of Duma's shopping, south of typhoon alley and protected from the worst of it by a couple islands to the east when the weather does come this way.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

...and from my understanding probably every city or town has some sort of bar girl scene or freelancers...

That is the truth! Even sleepy little Iloilo has a scene. It is not well advertised... but it is here. I was here almost 3 years before I even heard of where it is ha ha  I have not gotten my wife's permission to check it out yet... :tiphat:

• Like 1

russellmania
Posted
Posted

How long will it be before someone ask "Can I survive in the P.I. on 75k USD per year?" SMH.

• Like 3

bows00
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

That's a bit of a tall assumption to make. It reminds me of very narrow mindset that Angeles nightlife covers the whole town. Subic sure would be one of my choices and from my understanding probably every city or town has some sort of bar girl scene or freelancers so really not sure why you would assume that just because one is considering living in either of those places.   :89:

I guess it would be a narrow mindset, depending how you view the nightlife scene.  It was not meant to degrade in anyway.  But you have to admit that Angeles City is well known for this, whether if you participate or not. 

But 50K after taxes would budget you over $4000 per month, so you should be just fine, even if you did indulge in the bar scene once in awhile (wink wink). 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, russellmania said:

How long will it be before someone ask "Can I survive in the P.I. on 75k USD per year?" SMH.

The fact is some could not. :mellow:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, bows00 said:

But you have to admit that Angeles City is well known for this, whether if you participate or not.

Somewhat akin to a stoner saying he planned to retire in Amsterdam? We often have preconceived notions that we stick to regardless of the facts :morning1: I admit to having the notion that Angeles is a sex destination even though I know 2 people who live there who are definitely not tourists or wankers.

bows00
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Somewhat akin to a stoner saying he planned to retire in Amsterdam? We often have preconceived notions that we stick to regardless of the facts :morning1: 

Base on the ops original post, there was not enough facts, so yes, I did state a preconceived notion based on his location preferences.  But like I said earlier, I judge no one for their reasons for wanting to move to the Philippines.  If you want the bar scene, then AC would be a good choice.  

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, bows00 said:

Base on the ops original post, there was not enough facts, so yes, I did state a preconceived notion based on his location preferences.  But like I said earlier, I judge no one for their reasons for wanting to move to the Philippines.  If you want the bar scene, then AC would be a good choice.  

Common misconception which could be a critical mistake.

You go to Angeles, boy meets girl, you pay the price.

You go to any Mall and make yourself visible 1-2 days, you may end up better off.

Because it's Angeles and there's competition in the market, the hotel prices do tend to be lower, on promo and if by the week or month.

But I'm digressing, the OP with his $50 K USD after tax income. can go wherever he likes.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 1