SSDI

Rory
Posted
Posted

I am on the edge of moving to Cebu. I am a disabled vet and my ability to work is almost at the point where I cannot anymore. My work is looking at disability retirement to coincide with my VA. My question is will i be able to collect social security disability while out of the US?

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted

What age?

Social Security Disabilty is an amount given on top of SS, commonly $200-$300 more.

If you are already approved in USA, you will get the money here. I see no question on that. If disability was not yet approved, it would be almost impossible to get it approved here.

Social Security Supplemental Income, which is for low income retirees in USA, cannot be paid outside the USA.

• Like 2

Rory
Posted
Posted

I am 90 % disabled from the Military and currently a Government employee but my service connected disability is having several effects on my current employment. From what the HR office has said and I have researched. I would be moved to 100% VA, 40% of my annual gross from my current employer and eligible for SSGT Disability which at my current pay is just over 1200 USA. Bringing my possible net monthly between 4000-5000 USD. As best as I can figure but I will not be dissatisfied with anything over 2800 USD. That is why I am asking, I want to make sure I can extract as much as possible to sustain an easy life for my family.  I am 41yo. and would greatly appreciate any advice anyone could offer. Particularly in school tuition in the Talamban area of Cebu my son is 10 and daughter is 2.

• Like 1

Rory
Posted
Posted

Sorry spell check not SSGT..... BUT Social Security Disability Income

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Rory said:

I am 90 % disabled

Not pry Rory, but being a vet myself, and in view of your age and the info you have given I can make some educated guesses (and I do hope I am wrong) about your disabilities. May I ask how disabled are you? You should know that the Philippines is not the most friendly place for persons with disabilities. Side walks, public transportation, etc. etc. etc.. Its something you might want to inquire about also.

• Like 1

Rory
Posted
Posted

Your good Scott.

I have 6 screws in the shoulder, BP, manageable Diabetic and Anxiety disorder from PTSD..... mortars gotta love them..... from 2006-07 Balad/Mosual.... Diabetes I own that one I love Sweet Tea and Dr Peppers..... No physical issues other than drop dead chubby

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Rory said:

Balad/Mosual

Ah good ole Anaconda, lol. My old stomping grounds. Having been in an up armored that took an IED I know the type of disabilities that troops are getting. If load noises trigger you ptsd, head home for vacation over Chinese new year...........fireworks all over :hystery:

Rory
Posted
Posted

Not so much. I get annoyed with wild gestures like how most Americans talk with hands and people getting into my bubble mostly. I tried to get a DOD Government Employee transfer back to Okinawa but no dice. Life and Politics here are just too much now, for the sake of my health and the family moving to the PI is the best thing for us now. I need the slower life and less stress from the MAN to help me out.

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Rory said:

I would be moved to 100% VA, 40% of my annual gross from my current employer and eligible for SSGT Disability

These are 3 completely separate things which have absolutely nothing to do with each other. The HR department has as much pull with the VA and Social Security as the 7-11 clerk down the street. I see your best bet to get where you want to be is:

1)Get help from HR getting FERS disability http://www.fers-disability-retirement.com/opm-disability-retirement/

2)Use that as a reason to concurrently file for SSDI

3)and as a reason also to apply for VA Individual Unemployability http://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSATION/claims-special-individual_unemployability.asp

The amount of FERS benefit depends on items specific to you like years worked and pay. HR can tell you what this benefit would be as well as how long before the benefit will start (much sooner that the other two).

SSDI success may be increased with getting a Social Security Attorney (usually as a percentage of your back pay when finally approved, no money out of pocket). Will probably take over a year for a decision. SSDI benefit is specific to your earnings, SSA will tell you the amount you qualify for.

VA success may be improved with the assistance of a service organization service officer (VFW or DAV for example). Not sure what the current decision timeframe is, time varies depending on VA region also. You have two routes to take here, trying to get your percentage upgraded to 100%, trying for Individual Unemployability upgrade to 100%. Unless something has changed to justify being raised to 100%, using being disability retired to get IU seems a better chance of success. Current 100% rate, married with 2 children is about $3,268/month

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

Great answer there above by AlwaysRt.

The bottom line here is that you should not move to the Philippines before this entire process is completed.  There you have the VA in your region. Here we do have the VA in Manila, they are not capable to take a complex case like yours.

Schooling for kids in Cebu and generally living in Cebu would be a separate topic. Since Cebu City has a higher COL Index than Metro Manila it should not be your first choice.

Private schooling is available all over. Again that would be a separate topic.