Strongman Popularity?

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

This really isn't supposed to be a political topic about the pros and cons of the current administration here. But rather why there is seemingly such popularity and sense of satisfaction that is being shown by the country. On the news last night, the current president enjoys a 92% approval rating, the 8% seems to be the "intelligentsia" if we go by newspaper editorials, comments by some politicians and the international (how to put this) well meaning groups.

So the question is, in your opinion based on observation, is 92% (at this time) of the population just fed up with the system as it was and are willing to try anything? Or, due to historical (colonization?) precedent and cultural upbringing (respect for elders and authority) are the people more comfortable with a stronger authoritarian government.

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, scott h said:

are the people more comfortable with a stronger authoritarian government.

Yvonne and I had this discussion prior to the election and she said that filipinas (and probably filipinos too) like a president who is not a pussy (her words).

• Like 5

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife is from Davao and she whole heartedly is in favor of President Duterte. Everywhere you go here in Davao City, you see cardboard figures of Duterte. I even had my picture taken with one. Posters are still up everywhere. His picture is everywhere. Posters on vehicles, T-shirts at the malls with his face. He is like a Robin Hood who takes away from the rich and distributes to the poor. He is cleaning up the country of drug users and dealers. He is fighting corruption, his way. He is pretty much immune from any legal action, at least so far. He is becoming a dictator and most people don't have a problem with that. 

His only flaw, in my opinion is his push for Federalism. If it ever happens, the Philippines will become divided. If the people want it, then they have no one to blame but themselves. At least most of us have a country that we can return to and live if worse comes to worse. I'm not worried.

Edited by Gratefuled
  • Like 3

chris49
Posted
Posted (edited)
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 6:08 PM, scott h said:

This really isn't supposed to be a political topic about the pros and cons of the current administration here. But rather why there is seemingly such popularity and sense of satisfaction that is being shown by the country. On the news last night, the current president enjoys a 92% approval rating, the 8% seems to be the "intelligentsia" if we go by newspaper editorials, comments by some politicians and the international (how to put this) well meaning groups.

So the question is, in your opinion based on observation, is 92% (at this time) of the population just fed up with the system as it was and are willing to try anything? Or, due to historical (colonization?) precedent and cultural upbringing (respect for elders and authority) are the people more comfortable with a stronger authoritarian government.

92% is very high isn't it?  But taking it at face value.

The people wised up a long time ago to political dynasties. The previous 2 presidents were descendants of previous presidents. Noy Noy's mother Corazon, Gloria Arroyo's father Dionisa Magapacal. The Marcos family still rules the north.

The people wanted to break up the dynasties. However election rigging and vote tampering has always precluded the peoples opinion. This time Duterte gained enormous popularity pre election and there was no candidate strong enough to oppose him. Binay was tainted with corruption long before the election.

Answer: A.  92% (at this time) of the population just fed up with the system as it was and are willing to try anything? YES.

Edited by chris49
  • Like 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

My wife is from Davao and she whole heartedly is in favor of President Duterte. Everywhere you go here in Davao City, you see cardboard figures of Duterte. I even had my picture taken with one. Posters are still up everywhere. His picture is everywhere. Posters on vehicles, T-shirts at the malls with his face. He is like a Robin Hood who takes away from the rich and distributes to the poor. He is cleaning up the country of drug users and dealers. He is fighting corruption, his way. He is pretty much immune from any legal action, at least so far. He is becoming a dictator and most people don't have a problem with that. 

His only flaw, in my opinion is his push for Federalism. If it ever happens, the Philippines will become divided. If the people want it, then they have no one to blame but themselves. At least most of us have a country that we can return to and live if worse comes to worse. I'm not worried.

So...are they just fed up with the past? Or is it something cultural?

• Like 1

Benington
Posted
Posted

Duterte got under 40% of the vote in the recent election. His fervent supporters voted for a strongman anyway. But I think most of the rest of the population have ignored his faults, "suspended disbelief" and been hooked by all the promises the new government has made: Three to six month successful campaigns against drug and heinous crimes; Ending the NPA rebellion; Peace in Mindanao; Solving Manila's traffic problem; Building railways in Mindanao; Raising teacher's, soldiers and police salaries; Move to a federal system; ending contractualisation and many more.

Apart from the move to federalism, which most don't have a clue about yet, the rest of his headline agenda is very attractive to people in this honeymoon period. But it will be better to judge after two years. Then, certain things might have been achieved and other things will be claimed to have been achieved, or at least greatly progressed. Some promises may not have been fulfilled. At that time most of his voter base will probably still be there, happy that he continues to play the strongman and insult much of the domestic establishment and some international bodies and figures. The rest will judge him on his record to date. With such a large and ambitious agenda it is likely to be very much a mixed one.

The most difficult issue to assess is the move to federalism. But reactions to its implications could develop strongly after two years, may divide the nation and then overshadow any policy successes he may have achieved by then.

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, scott h said:

So...are they just fed up with the past? Or is it something cultural?

Hi Scott. I think it's a little of both. First, fed up with how Aquino and the others before him did very little for the country and only the political families and the LP prospered.

Wife claims Duterte has done a lot for Davao City and if he can do the same with the country she along with others from Davao and Mindanao want to give him a chance.

I'm a skeptic.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, chris49 said:

92% is very high isn't it?  But taking it at face value.

The people wised up a long time ago to political dynasties. The previous 2 presidents were descendants of previous presidents. Noy Noy's mother Corazon, Gloria Arroyo's father Dionisa Magapacal. The Marcos family still rules the north.

The people wanted to break up the dynasties. However election rigging and vote tampering has always precluded the peoples opinion. This time Duterte gained enormous popularity pre election and there was no candidate strong enough to oppose him. Binay was tainted with corruption long before the election.

Answer: A.  92% (at this time) of the population just fed up with the system as it was and are willing to try anything? YES.

I agree but Duterte has his clan in politics as well. Davao city has a history of Duterte family in local government.

His daughter is mayor now for the 2nd or 3rd time, his son is vice mayor.

Yes, most who voted for Duterte that are not from Mindanao are fed up with the past and want to see a change. Sometimes but not always, the change is worse but it's worth a gamble for the people. 

You don't cut off your nose to spite your face. ( or something like that)

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

I think that as the the first Visayan President, he has seen a lot of support particularly among the many Visayans   

in the  country.  Mindanao has been underrepresented in government for a long time it seems too. He's very charismatic, as is the PNP Chief. He seems to view things in a pragmatic way, which people like.  Many are especially fed up with the influence of drugs on their families and in their communities I think, and want change. They are are willing to support President Duterte  in his efforts to bring about his attempts at change. I don't think it's a cultural thing. Maybe they are thinking that desperate times call for desperate measures.

• Like 5

robert k
Posted
Posted

If we turn the title question around 180 degrees? Who wants a weak president?

• Like 2