Strongman Popularity?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, robert k said:

If we turn the title question around 180 degrees? Who wants a weak president?

I doubt that we will see Duterte out golfing.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I doubt that we will see Duterte out golfing.

:hystery:Only because he has to be number 1 (one) imagine someone not letting him win?:shades:

Golf gets serious to some people.

Jack:huh:

Morning all:morning1:

• Like 1

Benington
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, robert k said:

Who wants a weak president?

There might be some, depending on a country's particular political situation. Those doing very well out of the present system or those who would like to develop a future opportunity to overthrow a government.

At present we are seeing quite a lot of authoritarian leadership here eg the drugs campaign

By the way, one doesn't hear much about the war on heinous crime. Resources being diverted away to the drugs campaign?

But I think there will be some trouble here if an authoritarian approach is taken to certain other more consensual issues. The primary one being the change to a federal structure of government.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

The most difficult issue to assess is the move to federalism. But reactions to its implications could develop strongly after two years, may divide the nation and then overshadow any policy successes he may have achieved by then.

But I think there will be some trouble here if an authoritarian approach is taken to certain other more consensual issues. The primary one being the change to a federal structure of government.

I think only a dictator can force the Philippines into Federalism.

• Like 1

Benington
Posted
Posted

Apparently a constitutional referendum was held here in 1981 on giving the President more powers. YES prevailed. I don't know if one could still be held now. If so that could be a way to push federalism through against opposition. However, before they go for that thought should be given to recent British experience with a government supported YES campaign!

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Du30's drug campaign seems to be working.  I saw a bit on CNN last night about a Manila jail, designed to hold 800 inmates, with over 4000 crowded in there and all on drug offenses. Many turned themselves in, according to the news story.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/19/asia/philippines-overcrowded-jail-quezon-city/

• Like 1

Benington
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gratefuled said:

I think only a dictator can force the Philippines into Federalism.

At first it seems strange that a constitutional change designed to take power away from the center could be dictated by a President. But maybe not, when you remember where the President and most of his political allies come from. Mindanao would certainly be the main benificiary of a move to federalism. Could the island eventually become, de facto, a semi-autonomous or even autonomous region of the country? With its own semi-autonomous Muslim areas! 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Benington said:

Could the island eventually become, de facto, a semi-autonomous or even autonomous region of the country? With its own semi-autonomous Muslim areas! 

My friend, it already is :shades:

• Like 5

Benington
Posted
Posted

Well, in that case, independent?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Benington said:

Well, in that case, independent?

This is why the problems are there they don't just want the bit Aquino gave them, as with many things they want it ALL

Mindanao.jpg  mindanao 2.jpg  :tiphat:

Edited by Jack Peterson
After Lunch spelling LOL
  • Like 2