Strongman Popularity?

Benington
Posted
Posted

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2016/04/19/1574446/sws-p-noy-satisfaction-rating-drops

It looks like this SWS calls it "net trust" only at the beginning of a Presidency, after that it seems to be "net satisfaction" only. They classed the previous President as going out with "moderate" net satisfaction. Unfortunately we don't seem to have many (or any?) other opinion polls to go on here.

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Reboot said:

The Muslims are a small minority plus they are mostly concentrated in a few areas. They aren't taking over Mindanao let alone the entire country. Doubt it.

The Muslims are a small minority in the Philippines but in Mindanao their numbers are increasing. Malaysia , Indonesia are Muslim countries. Thailand has their problems with Muslims. Even China has problems with Muslims. Don't let their small numbers now fool you. Random acts of terrorism will continue. They will gain control in Mindanao with autonomous regions that allow them to self rule. This is what BBL was about and now it is Federalism. Non Muslims will be persecuted and slowly driven away. Look at how Muslims persecute Christians in Egypt, and how they throw Christians overboard to drown in the Mediterranean in the migrant boats.

Reboot
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

The Muslims are a small minority in the Philippines but in Mindanao their numbers are increasing. Malaysia , Indonesia are Muslim countries. Thailand has their problems with Muslims. Even China has problems with Muslims. Don't let their small numbers now fool you. Random acts of terrorism will continue. They will gain control in Mindanao with autonomous regions that allow them to self rule. This is what BBL was about and now it is Federalism. Non Muslims will be persecuted and slowly driven away. Look at how Muslims persecute Christians in Egypt, and how they throw Christians overboard to drown in the Mediterranean in the migrant boats.

Christian Filipinos are going to respond a bit more vigorously. I suspect these people can get quite violent and bloody once they are put to it.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Reboot said:

Christian Filipinos are going to respond a bit more vigorously. I suspect these people can get quite violent and bloody once they are put to it.

Personally, I think that we are getting away from the main core of the Topic but We have noticed that the number of Muslims is Growing in Dumaguete. The new Administration has a lot of work to do and This issue whilst it is a worrying one, can we hope, be kept contained to Mindanao and let them get on with other areas/concerns that seem to be raising their heads. Before I move on to a Topic more fitting for a Sunday morning I might Add, that IF he can sort the Mindanao problem out, he may just get some world Support in his Popularity as others are failing as well.

Jack:shades:

Morning All:morning1:

• Like 1

Benington
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

The Muslims are a small minority in the Philippines but in Mindanao their numbers are increasing. Malaysia , Indonesia are Muslim countries. Thailand has their problems with Muslims. Even China has problems with Muslims.

Some parallels with Northern Ireland. There it was Catholics and Protestants, but they might as well have been from different religions. The seeds were sown many centuries ago by an organised colonisation of the area by Scottish protestants. Now, hundreds of years later and after a resurgence of armed conflict in the 1970s a peace process has taken some hold. But people are still murdered and blown up each year as old scores are settled.

So, in Mindanao we have a far more recent colonisation to be accepted, adjusted to or perhaps just forgotten? A better infrastructure and economic growth might help, but Gratefuled is right ...there are very few places around the world where Muslims live peaceably with people of other or no religion. Those where they do tend to be in some areas of cities in Western countries.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

You preempted my thoughts also Robert on Aquino's outgoing numbers, would think they suffered a bit of a downturn. I think he really failed to deliver the benefits of many economic improvements to the 'poor sectors'. More importantly, rather than just looking at numbers, it will be interesting to see if the less fortunate benefit from his period of Presidency - I hope so.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

it will be interesting to see if the less fortunate benefit from his period of Presidency - I hope so.

To my mind he is like a Fragmented Disk, to much too soon and causing more problems than he is or can Hope to achieve.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Reboot said:

I doubt it. I really and truly doubt it. They will not fight for their country. They would want the USA to fight for them just like they have in history. 

USA gave them independence from Spain and the Japanese. Then, they kicked our military bases out. They protest even now against US troop presence. 

Oh, but they want US military to help them keep their islands in the South China Sea. 

So, yes, the Philippines is very vulnerable to a slow takeover by Muslims of Mindanao and then Visayas and so on and so forth. They are patient. Even if it takes 500 years. 

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Benington said:

Some parallels with Northern Ireland. There it was Catholics and Protestants, but they might as well have been from different religions.

Christians fighting Christians in Ireland is small compared to Muslims fighting Muslims all over the Middle East. Sunni Muslims fighting for control over Shiite Muslims in Iraq, Syria for instance.

MILF vs MNLF are 2 Muslim groups wanting to control Philippine land. Then, there is Abu Saayaf which pledges allegiance to ISIS. Then, there is the BIFF. Who which claim to be Freedom Fighters but are just bandits.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

I doubt it. I really and truly doubt it. They will not fight for their country. They would want the USA to fight for them just like they have in history. 

That's why I started the topic. Is the above observation of the mindset cause by ingrained cultural mindset, just so used to having others do the heavy lifting? Or a the feeling of desperation and the only way out of what they see as a poor situation is brining in a strongman?

• Like 1