How Borrowing Money Affects Relationships

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
On 22 August 2016 at 11:28 PM, Jake said:

Ahh......such noble attributes.  But are you being realistic to yourself??  I mean 40 grand is 1.8 million pesos!  Please work on your communications skills and be more assertive.  Hell, I would start charging him interest compounded hourly.

Just saying.......

Post editing -- just realized wrong amount in my comment above.  Sorry guys -- this DOM is really getting old!

Yeah, I had to wonder who would lend "40 grand" . 

Mr. Bobo
Posted
Posted
On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 11:37 PM, OnMyWay said:

How can someone forget?  Whenever I borrow, if I ever do, I pay it right back.  That task goes to the top of my priorities... 

I had an similar money borrowing experience with a co-worker about 35 or 40 years ago in the days when I used to smoke. I was at the cigarette machine at work that took exact change and I was a dime short. My co-worker Al, who had a reputation for being a little tight with a buck, happened to be walking by and I said “Al, do you have a dime on you?” He said yes and gave me a dime. About a month later I was coming out of the men's room and Al approached me and said “Hey, you owe me some money”. It had slipped my mind that I had borrowed a dime from him at the cigarette machine a month earlier so I said “what are you talking about? I have never borrowed any money from you”. He replied “Yes you did, you borrowed a dime from me at the cigarette machine”. I returned the dime that I had borrowed from him. This is a true story, had the tables been turned I would have been embarrassed to approach someone that owed me a dime, but I guess it takes all types to make a world. People sometimes forget when they owe money.

• Like 2

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mr. Bobo said:

I would have been embarrassed to approach someone that owed me a dime, but I guess it takes all types to make a world. People sometimes forget when they owe money.

People do forget. There's a chap I know who always seems to run out of money before the end of the month  and gets a loan from his boss which he pays back promptly on payday. A couple of times he has borrowed RMB 300 or 400 off of me (say the equivalent of 50 dollars) and payed me back promptly. Sometimes he would buy me a beer by way of a thank you.

On one occasion he borrowed ten RMB off me saying his wife had told him to buy something on the way home and had forgotten to give him any money. I have not seen that ten back and assume he forgot. Like Mr. B i would have been embarrassed to remind someone of such a relatively small amount, however I will remember that ten long after I have forgotten the larger sums which he paid back.:56da64aa52228_23_9_101:

Edited by not so old china hand
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
stevewool
Posted
Posted
On 22/08/2016 at 8:19 AM, bows00 said:

I have heard many occasions where the Filipino family would ask to borrow money from a wealthy expat.  Although I'm still living the US, I want to take this opportunity to share an experience I had with a co-worker this past week...

It happened during a special lunch outing for work when this subject co-worker asked me to borrow $40 because he was short.  Yeah, no problem, I lent him the money, but it has been over a month and he has not returned my money.  And it is to the point where I see him differently now.  And don't get me wrong here, it is NOT about the money - I would have been better off just giving it to him as a gift.  But there is something about BORROWING... it's a promise that he's lied about with no intention of paying me back in the first place that gets under my skin.  Unfortunately, I work closely with this guy, and he has broken my trust, over a measly $40... 

So my message here is that borrowing money DOES affect relationships.  If you ever borrow from someone you value in a relationship, then pay them back as soon as possible. 

In my future, I will never lend money to people I care about - if I am not in a position to gift it to them, I will reply "NO - I value our relationship more".    

Could be he has forgot, if he is a true friend just a quick "WHERES MY $40" should work, anyway his response should let you know if you still would like him as a friend

• Like 3