Filipino Views on Extrajudicial Killings

Benington
Posted
Posted

Over the last few days there's been some evidence shown in the media and given in the Senate to cast a great deal of doubt on the claim that the police here are not sometimes "shooting to kill" when someone has surrendered.

No official verdicts yet in the few cases that have been highlighted, and they could take a long time. But, for now, I wonder how the War on Drugs is currently viewed in your households or community by Filipinos?

Do they feel extrajudicial killing, whether by the police, or others, is a "price worth paying" in the War on Drugs? Are they now having any qualms?

Expat opinions don't count for much on this, or indeed most, issues in this country...so please just restrict this to Filipino's.

My wife was a big supporter...she says it's still a good policy but would like the killings to stop. Will they?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Benington said:

My wife was a big supporter...she says it's still a good policy but would like the killings to stop. Will they?

Hmmmmm my wife would ask are you an abdicater of shoot first, ask questions later? Many are and to her it is wrong, Whatever happened to innocent until proven Guilty but then, did it ever really exist?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Well to me I feel this topic could possible get out of hand so the warning is prepare for deletion.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Most people in Davao City think Duterte is going about business as usual and approve. 

My wife is from Davao City. 

As much crime that is committed by drug addicts that most people have no pity for them. 

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted (edited)

My wife pretty much views this approach as an unfortunate "necessary evil". She is hoping soon with many now deceased, incarcerated, or committed to rehab that things will calm down and lead to a more humane approach to the problem-that's her hope anyway.  Initially she had some stronger reactions to this situation, but I'll refrain from sharing that.

Edited by Hey Steve
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Whatever happened to innocent until proven Guilty but then, did it ever really exist?

We have never been innocent until proven gullty with regards to certain things like Customs, Immigration, and Income Tax so I guess now we can add drug running to the list.

• Like 2

chris49
Posted
Posted

Gina doesn't pay attention to things like that.

My Filipino friends? From what I hear they all support Duterte. Life is cheap here in the Philippines, a few local killings don't even raise the eyebrows.

As for expats. Specifically you did not ask about that. Typically we do tend to be more analytical. Probably not a good time to make's ones views public.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Benington said:

Are they now having any qualms?

Nope!!! I could leave it at that, but:

Wife: As long as it doesn't effect her family, friends, batch mates, ex-workmates, her ability to socialize, go shopping, watch her favorite telesyerie she really doesn't care (just like her view of martial law back in the day)

Brother in Law who works for the Department of Foreign Affairs: Working in the diplomatic corps, he doesn't like to express a direct opinion, but when the matter is discussed in his presence a small grin appears on his face.

Old retired guys who hang around in the Barangay square ogling the girls all day (two categories)

U.S. Navy (Filipinos) Retired: "Should have done this long ago" (direct quote)

Other old guys: "wonder when they will raid Palaez street, that place needs cleaning up"

Since the OP specifically asks for no Expat opinions, I will leave my analysis for a later topic.

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

Ann said the police should let them surrender, if they don't then OK to shoot. The motorcycle "guys" should only be shooting drug lords and pushers, they hurt other people but the users only hurt themselves. (users stealing etc is a separate crime)

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I wonder if filipino forums have threads for foreigner views on things.  Seems a bit silly when I think of it.  We are the blind asking the blind what he sees.

• Like 2