Filipino Views on Extrajudicial Killings

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I wonder if filipino forums have threads for foreigner views on things.  Seems a bit silly when I think of it.  We are the blind asking the blind what he sees.

Yeah! it is called Face Book :smile:

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Yeah! it is called Face Book 

Not a Facebook subscriber. I like to keep my opinion here only. 

canadamale
Posted
Posted (edited)

I was visiting my daughter in Canada today and one of her neighbors has a I support Duterte plate on the front of his car and a I Love the Philippines sticker on the rear window, so he has at least one supporter here.  My gf does not discuss politics, when i brought it up around here brothers and father they just shrug it off and not give any definent opinion 

Edited by canadamale
spelling, words missing
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Pangit
Posted
Posted

My better half thinks it stinks. She says in her eyes only God has the power over life or death.

She also thinks it stinks how she is too scared to voice her opinion amongst her friends as she is scared they will all denounce her as being anti-duterte.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I asked a friend who knows the president's son quite well to confirm the basics...  As follows: normal arrest procedures for drug offenses...  If they bring weapons into play, so do the police...  But no longer do they have to wait for the perp to take the first shot (nor would I!)...  As for police just shooting anyone?  Still chargeable offense as before and there are multiple investigations and suspensions out there but media won't report them...  As for foreigners involved?  Unless it's in the middle of a shooting war type bust, every effort is to be made for a safe arrest...  Makes sense...  Hard for countries to moan about what's happening when they're own citizens have been arrested and jailed without harm... As for the vigilantes?  It is illegal and charges will be laid but, unless someone is killing innocents and using this as a cover, it's a lower priority to investigate...  If someone is stealing your chickens and your neighbor beats the crap out of them, are you going to turn in your neighbor?  Same idea I think for how each individual policeman thinks about it...  Personally i think it's reached the point now where the only ones left for the vigilantes are really the high level criminals...  The rest are just poor people struggling to feed their families through any means possible...  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
johnbarley
Posted
Posted (edited)

From my informal surveys, Filipinos overwhelming support the ruthless war on drugs. They are ready for a policy more akin to those of Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia because the previous policy was a complete failure.

I've gotten responses like: 

"Filipinos need discipline."

"I like it. Kill all the drug pushers."

"Westerners don't understand the extent of the drug addiction epidemic."

Furthermore, the policy is working as expected (after all, it's worked in every other country that's tried it) with the price of drugs having increased somewhere between 2-10x in addition to making them harder to find.

They also seem to mildly resent the US government's public and patronizing disapproval.

There does seem to be a significant subset that opposes it though. They seem to be the more westernized Filipinos. 

Edited by johnbarley