Golf another luxury most Filipinos cannot afford or ???

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)

Both male and female Filipinos are well gifted physically. I've watched them play volleyball, badminton, and basketball. 

Professional tennis and golf are 2 sports where most Filipinos do not compete. 

Most of the top female golf professionals are Asians. The Number 1 is an 18 year old Korean from New Zealand, Lydia Ko. The top male golfer is Jason Day whose mother is Filipina and father was Australian. There are other Asian professional golf players that also do well on the PGA Tour.

I read recently that the Philippines now has more billionaires than ever. So, is it the middle class that is not interested or is it something else? One does not have to be rich but one needs to have talent. If they are good enough, there will always be a sponsor. 

I welcome any opinions on this.

Edited by Gratefuled

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Both male and female Filipinos are well gifted physically. I've watched them play volleyball, badminton, and basketball. 

Professional tennis and golf are 2 sports where most Filipinos do not compete. 

Most of the top female golf professionals are Asians. The Number 1 is an 18 year old Korean from New Zealand, Lydia Ko. The top male golfer is Jason Day whose mother is Filipina and father was Australian. There are other Asian professional golf players that also do well on the PGA Tour.

I read recently that the Philippines now has more billionaires than ever. So, is it the middle class that is not interested or is it something else? One does not have to be rich but one needs to have talent. If they are good enough, there will always be a sponsor. 

Maybe not a lot of places to get practice in. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gratefuled said:

It is just to damn hot all year round to really develop natural skills to the professional level.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, scott h said:

It is just to damn hot all year round to really develop natural skills to the professional level.

They have "Umbrella Girls" that follow the golfer around.

Thanks, but no, I think there must be other reasons. 

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Queenie O. said:

Maybe not a lot of places to get practice in. 

Yes, one good reason but lots of golf courses in and around Manila.

soupeod
Posted
Posted

It is way to expensive in the Philippines

• Like 1

Mr. Bobo
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

I think that outside of Manila one would be hard pressed to find a golf course, except maybe at a 4 or 5 star resort. I live in Nueva Vizcaya and there isn't a golf course within 100 miles of my house and I love to golf. I stayed at the Thunderbird Resort (5 star hotel) at Poro Point in La Union last year for a couple of days. They  did have a golf course on the grounds but I think that it is for hotel guests only and not open to the public. Most of the top professional female golfers are South Korean, and there are a few very good Chinese and Japanese female golfers. Asian female golfers swept the medals at the Olympics in Rio, Inbee Park (South Korea), Lydia Ko (New Zealand), and Shanshan Feng (China).  I follow women's professional golf (as well as men's) and I can't think of any female golfers from third world countries with the exception of Ariya Jutanugarn from Thailand, but I would put Thailand more in the "developing" country category rather than third world. I think that golf in the Philippines is only for the rich.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mr. Bobo said:

I think that outside of Manila one would be hard pressed to find a golf course

Not at all.  There are 3 that I know of in the Cebu area and 2 in the Dumaguete area and lots of expats golf here.  If the golf courses had to rely on foreigners they would go broke so there must be some filipinos golfing.  Its not my sport so I only hear about it second hand.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Here's a pic of some friends at one of the golf clubs in Cebu.  I guess this lays to rest the rumor that golf is a luxury most filipinas cannot afford :hystery:

Golfing friends.jpg

• Like 1

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Name any luxury a lot of Filipinos can afford.......... Many of the more affluent play golf and some of their children who've been playing since age 5 or so are very talented. Whether they can take that to the next level is another matter. I know there were Philippine representatives in the Olympics, I saw their picture in one of the local golf magazines. Here in Cebu there are 6+ courses and plenty of local players (strangely their membership fees are lower than us expats :571c66d400c8c_1(103):) and a number of the locals are members of more than one club, just rubbing in how wealthy they are.

• Like 1