My wife calls them "One Day Millionaires". Who and why?

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

The man or woman who is broke right after payday.

The man or woman who frequents the local pawn shop. 

Ever notice how many pawn shops in the Philippines.

The US has them also but not on every block.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

The man or woman who is broke right after payday.

The man or woman who frequents the local pawn shop. 

My Wife says these Two + those that just go out after a Big Borrow from the Credit Union and Blow the lot as there is no Tomorrow, Is there?

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

The dozen or so times I have been in a pawn shop here, I have never seen anyone pawning or buying anything pawned. Always either transferring money/paying bills, buying load, or buying jewelry from the jewelry maker. Unlike in the states pawned items were going out/coming in every time I have been to one.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

When I think of the one day millionaires, I think of many filipinos I have known who will borrow some "big money" on their land and spend like kings for a few weeks, then never ever be able to pay back the loan.  

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

My Wife says these Two + those that just go out after a Big Borrow from the Credit Union and Blow the lot as there is no Tomorrow, Is there?

It's not just here in the Philippines. There are many such people in the states who cannot manage a budget. They max out their credit cards and file bankruptcy.

• Like 5

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

as there is no Tomorrow, Is there?

Apparently not. Tomorrow is close but never comes as no matter how long I sleep, when I open my eyes it is always today.

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

when I open my eyes it is always today.

Ah Yes! but Today is the Tomorrow people were so worried about Yesterday! :hystery:

Jack :shades:

Morning All:morning1: ( just so we all know what day it is) :thumbsup:

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

One day they will be right Jack.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, robert k said:

One day they will be right Jack.

:89: Right about what cos just now they are never wrong or is that just in This house :smile:

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

You just described most of the guys I served with in the Navy.  The terms I heard were 'weekend millionaire" and "millionaire for the day".   We took 60 days to get from San Diego to S Korea (they really should have let me steer!).  The paychecks were piling up.   After a few days in Korea guys were bumming money for smokes ha ha. 

I do see people here, at the pawn shops, paying on loans.  Many of them pawn jewelry, pay on the loan for a few years, and eventually lose the jewelry.

• Like 4